No announcement yet.

input on krav maga training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• input on krav maga training?

Not quite sure if this is the right place for this...

but anyhow, I'm thinking about taking some Krav Maga. There's a place local to me that has classes in it and I don't see anything wrong with it, however some other people i know in martial arts have told me it's "commercial" and that theres no real structure to it and how anyone can get certified in it.

Does anyone have experience in this? Any input about wether i should spend my money elsewhere or if this is something good to check out ?

Thanks in advance.

G

Well its a proven martial art for the israeli's. They're constantly at war. In a sense you do have to be wary of the place. From what I've heard its effective for streetfighting. But some people might have just taken the name for popularity's sake to get some money out of you. Its all in the training. If you don't see guys getting hurt or you getting hurt while training. It's probably not worth it.

Comment

Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenpo Chris
        Don't do it.
        can i ask for a little elaboration on the reason behind you answer to better understand for myself? same as i had mentioned or different?

Comment

I do not trust a system that anyone can get certified in.
          I say find a good mixed style.

Comment

The question is how do they train. If they certify you right away. Thats a bad sign. Do you have any martial art experience? Ask them to spar with you. If they can hang, there you go. If they look novice and handle like a novice don't go for it. Simple as that.

Comment

well i caught a lucky break, just last week a new Renzo Gracie affiliated school opened close to me (25 minute drive). I am in contact with the black belt instructor, Andrew Calandrelli, about getting started there.

I looked him up and he has alot of recent (2003) first place finishes in expert level grapplers quest type tourneys and Naga tourneys. I'm excited and hope this proves a great facility.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with Krav Maga. I cross train in it along with Combat Sambo. It is a killing art more so than a sport. You have to take the good out of it and combine it with another style or you will hurt someone something terrible. The whole art concentrates on groin strikes and knees from a tie clinch reference. There are good striking skills much like that of Kick boxing. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X