Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isn't The Lead Hand Used To Parry Rights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great discussion chok a blok with detailed technical information. There is great value in teaching people to use a skill under akward circumstances so that when it need be applied it becomes second nature....If you can parry a jab then judging distance, body positioning etc should be more natural when parrying a punch that more lends itself to being parried. On this point Bronner getting starched was A TEXTBOOK case of misjudging distance. Bronner so walked into that one by thinking he could, moving straight back, outrun a punch that should have been parried at the point of contact...as a last resort. Not to mention that Bronner should have understood the correct angle to line his body up with so he could shorten the distance needed to move around the punch.

Floyd also hates a good jab because one weakeness of the style Toney and Floyd use, is that turning the shoulder and coming back with a quick right is too slow to do against a good jab. I personally think that among all the hoopla about Madianna one of the more fantastic things he did was outjab Floyd in the middle of the ring and back him up. There is no way that Floyd voluntarily gives up the center of the ring to fight against the ropes!

High kicks are used in the martial arts many times to help develop the strength and finess to properly kick low....same principle. Turns out (I can say this from experience) if I can kick you in the teeth I can also deliver one hell of a kick to your legs or groin.

Comment

Didnt tyson parry spinks' straight right with his left and uppercut him to hell with his right

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        can't recall any incidents of this. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate some examples of this being done
        I recall Larry Holmes parrying with his left all the time.....He was a master at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
          I recall Larry Holmes parrying with his left all the time.....He was a master at it.
          Yes. Holmes was very effective with that.

Comment

I've seen orthodox fighters do it a lot to a southpaws lead right/jab. But a straight right from another orthodox fighter is harder and reaching for it leaves you open. Better to keep it available for a counter left hook or more important.... guarding your face.

Comment

Working...
            X