Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on snapping your punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was assuming he was pushing through with his straights instead of snapping when he feels the bag move , the wall is to prevent Karate style punch through the target crap.

Comment

Keep your arms and upperbody relaxed. Only clench your first slightly before the moment of impact.

Comment

My problem has always been with snapping my power hand.

My jab is textbook snappy, but my left (Im a southpaw) I have to punch through with.

Comment

First of all you should be using 16oz for the heavy bag.
          It is sort of difficult to explain a proper snapping punch to the bag in writing, but you basically want to forget about the power and release your jab loosely and swiftly then snap your hand back to you immediately after you hear contact with the bag. If you fee like you are pushing or feel sluggish with the movement you are too tight, and are "trying" to throw a punch as opposed to letting it go.
          Also Your trainer is correct by asking you to keep the bag as if it was a "seizure", when you can control the heavy bag in a more or less stationary position while striking it regardless of the power you are striking it with from all angles you are demonstrating control of the bag ( and your opponent) and proper punching form.

Comment

ok stand back far enough from the bag so that you just nip it.
            take your time turning your punches over perfectly
            and start to move it in 1inch at a time until you hear it starting to snap
            on the bag pulling your hand back fast is the key taking your time is a talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukr_Alex View Post
              My problem has always been with snapping my power hand.

My jab is textbook snappy, but my left (Im a southpaw) I have to punch through with.
              You could be pushing with your power hand instead of putting your body into it. As you punch, turn your back heel outward, like your putting out a cigarette or squashing a bug. This will get your hips into the movement.

Drive with your shoulder as your hips turn, keeping your arm relaxed until the moment of contact. And then like my example earlier of snapping a towel, pull back your fist as quickly as possible back to your chin.

Comment

Try turning your body when you throw your right cross or straight right allow it to snap with your body movement or when you throwing your jab step I'n and throw quickly you'll start to snap it naturally thats what i did it sounds weird give it a try I'n shadow boxing instead of the bag cause that's what shadow boxing is for technique..And trying diffrent things

Comment

You need to stay relaxed, don't crisp your muscles when punching, stay nice and relax and focus on proper form and speed. Keep your hands relaxed to, only make a fist when your punch is about to land. Keeping your fists clenched at all time will make you slower and it will make you get tired faster as well.

If you grunt or make a mean face when you throw a punch you aren't doing it right.

I know it might go against what most people think you need to do to throw a snappy punch but most people can't punch for ****.

Comment

Punch wooden fences.

Comment

I don't remember ever having much snap on a shot unless it was an extremely light bag.

The weight of the bag aswell as the give in the bag will tend to eat up whatever snap you may have the shot. Still, push through though for strength.

The ones that had noticable snap were always shots that were stopped shot and not followed through with on the heavy bag.

Just turn them over properly and the snap will be there when the bag is replaced by somebodys face. The face will have none of the weight or give, you'll feel the snap then.............Rockin'
                      Last edited by Rockin'; 02-17-2011, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X