Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker vs Julio Cesar Chavez prime for prime lightweight, same result?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pernell Whitaker vs Julio Cesar Chavez prime for prime lightweight, same result?

I wanted to get the opinion of knowledgeable posters here in the history section, if Whitaker was to face Chavez both at lightweight in their absolute primes would Whitaker have still masterfully outboxed him and without corrupt judges gotten a decision? I feel that it would be the case.

Any thoughts?
    Chavez
    15.00%
    Whitaker
    85.00%

I think Whitaker beats him any time, but it's a much much closer fight if they're both at their bests.

Comment

Whitaker would have won again. The problem with Whitaker was he was too complete a fighter...his jab and boxing ability was outstanding, and when Chavez closed the gap Whitaker could still match him on the inside(one of his underrated abilities). Its a common misconception that Chavez had problems with 'boxers', in fact he destroyed them most the time, ie Camacho Duplessis and Lonnie Smith. It was guys that could outhustle him with volume on the inside that could give him problems, ie Taylor and Fuentes.

But, the fight would have been better because both would have been closer to prime and closer to their best weights. I still see a competitive, but very clear, win for Pernell.

Comment

Probaly just as easy if not easier.

Comment

It would be a better fight, but Whitaker still wins 7 or 8 rounds and the fight.

Comment

Whitaker would win a decision,it would be competitive but he would take atleast 8 rounds,simply just too much of everything for Chavez,and thats no knock on the great Mexican,more of a hint towards just how special Sweet pea was

Comment

I don't see how it more competive. As Pernell would be faster, slicker, and was better defensivley at 135lb. While Chavez would be more prime at 135lb, I still think Pernell actually could win easier.

At 147 his reflexes, reactions, & speed had slowed to what they were at 135lb.

Comment

100% to Whitaker in the poll!

Good debate!

Comment

Amazing isn't it that Whitaker went 12 w/ Chavez and totally avoided being beaten up and physically damaged. Meldrick Taylor went 12 and was destroyed to the head and body and was never the same after the methodical destruction Chavez laid on him.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
                    Amazing isn't it that Whitaker went 12 w/ Chavez and totally avoided being beaten up and physically damaged. Meldrick Taylor went 12 and was destroyed to the head and body and was never the same after the methodical destruction Chavez laid on him.
                    Taylor didn't do himself any favors standing in the pocket and trying to outbrawl Chavez. He could have made that fight easier on himself by getting off his combos and then getting the hell out.

Comment

Working...
                    X