No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kessler vs Green For The WBC Silver Title in Play, 5/19

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
    So because Kessler doesn't get the paper belt he wanted he leaves the division? Man up and fight the winner of Froch/Bute, Mikkell.
    Sauerland has Said that this move to LHW is against Kessler's wish.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      Sauerland has Said that this move to LHW is against Kessler's wish.
      I trust Sauerland about as much as I trust Arum.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
        I trust Sauerland about as much as I trust Arum.
        Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
          You make a lot of good points but I think it's also worth mentioning that Kessler should know that he will have to come to the US to make a Ward fight,

At 175 I think Shumenov, Cloud, Cleverly or Pascal are potential targets who may be willing to go to Denmark for the right price.

If a big fight at 168 falls into his lap then he takes it and he isn't really dropping back down. If it doesn't happen, he has the bull**** belt and ranking to make a move at 175.
          bold: keep in mind the other guy (Ward) still has to take the fight. I'd think there's better options available for Ward than rematching someone he already defeated

well yeah fighting Green is an okay fight for Mikkel to take, even @ LHW, he'll likely win impressively and let the cards fall in place as to who he fights next

logical move with Bute-Froch and Ward all injured/busy

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          Bute-Kessler would be huge. The Canadians want that fight bad as Kessler whooped their very own Lucas.

Froch-Kessler II would always do well given the fireworks of their first encounter.

Ward-Kessler II is the fight Kessler wants and Ward wants it too given the controversy and foul play of the first fight.

LHW simply isn't Kessler's weight division and there isn't many big names. I doubt Hopkins wanting to fight Kessler. He already turned down a 4M USD offer years ago. Dawson is IMO a bad option and after these 2 there's no one known to other than real hard core fans.
          1. But in all honesty isn't Bute-Kessler a fight more strictly for the hardcore boxing fans?

2. not doubting the ability of Froch-Kessler 2 at all.. but lets say Froch losses wide vs Bute in May, a bad loss to Bute, is back to back losses vs Elite Level Super Middle's. Even if you're a die hard Froch fan, Boxing's a "what have you done for me lately" type of sport and how interested would the fans be up to see Froch in again with a top 168er when he seemingly can't win vs the better opposition **I know I am largely posting this with the impression that Froch will get out classed vs Bute like he did vs Ward .. but just something to keep in mind, and you know where I'm going

**is Froch-Kessler 2 a fight that'll be in high demand if/when Froch loses to Bute .. of course jury is still out so we'll see.

3. I'm sure Kessler wants his revenge, but my argument against a Ward-Kessler rematch is would public demand be enough to get the fight? From what I read I don't remember the first fight being horribly entertaining/memorable as even with the controversy (weren't all 3 scorecards very wide for Ward?)

From what I read the idea I got was that Ward handled Kessler pretty easily. taken from just one source, but "Ward was dominating the fight with ease long before Kessler suffered his first cut. Ward was too fast, his jab too good and his lead right hands too powerful and quick for Kessler."

so with that said, is that the kind of fight a network jumps on?

175 certainly is short on big names and I don't see Hopkins taking on Kessler either. Kessler doesn't have to go for Dawson (depends how B-Hop-Dawson goes)

So yeah Light Heavy might not have the greatest name power as a division, but is Super Middle really that much better?

I can say the the SAME thing at Super Middle weight with Ward, Bute and Froch despite being at/near the top of the heap, those 3 guys aren't huge ratings getters last time I checked, and are more well known to the hardcore fans.

Ward - undefeated fighter, unified champ, but doesn't have the most pleasing of styles + not very mainstream.

Bute IBF champ - might be undefeated and popular in Canada but at 32 years old, can you say he's really set the boxing world on fire with a showcase performance? It's not all his fault and he's nowhere near mainstream but I put him in a similar boat to Chad Dawson with the exception that he's more popular in his home country and still undefeated. With the similarities being at the end of the day if you're a casual fan, you're not gonna give a **** to watch Dawson or Bute bottom line

Froch - coming off a loss in Super 6 Finals to Andre Ward, might have the great British following, but I hinted at this earlier, I really fear another bad loss .. in this case to Bute really hurts Froch's stock going forward. Plus @ 34 years old, who knows if he gets his butt handed to him in May, Froch just might retire.
          Last edited by MJ406; 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X