Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Is A Waste Of Time - Agree or Disagree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
    My dad lost his job 5 years ago and started his own business now he owns two shops and is doing great has him wishing he started when he was in his 20s
    I hear that. They say owning a biz can be like owning a full time job with long hours but with higher pay. I suppose enjoying what you do makes it worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      Certain degrees are worth much more like science and medical but how many "accounting" degrees are gonna find great jobs? Like every other person gets one or a business degree

There are many jobs out there that are unfilled because they are specialized jobs that require training, not 4+ years of stuff you won't ever remember
      No doubt. Jobs in the government sector are like that. Decent pay in return for a few exams and a brief training period.

Comment

On average a college graduate will make a lot more than someone without a degree. SO no, it isnt

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          It's become too much of a "business" and degrees are basically worthless nowadays. Jobs that 20 years ago didn't require a degree want at least a BAchlors or masters degree today

Best thing is experience and training
          totally agree,my m8 has the highest degree for maths and he works in a bookies on around 230-240 per week and you can guess hes pissed because thats not why he went to university for waste of time and money i say and your completely right nothing beats time and expierience

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
            An accomplished person would say that, as they’re many high profile successful people who didn’t go to college or were drop outs and they are indeed successful and wealthy. However, in today’s society it is becoming more and more crucial for a potential employee to have the qualifications or graduate skills in order to fulfil the proposed job role.

Many of the older posters are aware of my amazing bricklaying skills. Anyway, although sustainable construction is the norm and brickwork is being phased out for a more favourable green design. It should be paramount that educational institutions make students aware of this instead of just worrying about their enrolment figures.

For my personal circumstance catch 22 is very problematic, not enough jobs equates to no experience. It may be ideological of today’s generation that society is against them thus having no motivation to go out and create something of themselves.

In my opinion I think the majority of people of my generation think it is just going to happen, it has happened to their family members and it will happen to them. Certainly with enough drive and motivation you can go out and set up your own business BUT a company is nowhere in hell going to hire you in today’s economic climate without the relevant skill set or proven track record as failure is not an option for them.
            I can agree with this. My brother-in-law earned his degree in construction engineering and management. And all was going well while he lived and worked in Florida until he was laid off in 2010. Luckily, he was able to fall back on his car sales experience which he relied on while attending college.

He's now employed at Toyota as a finance manager.

Comment

Nowadays generally yes. It is a waste of dollars.

With the world's leading economies imploding, getting a degree means less and less when at the end of the day all you'll end up with is a minimum wage or worse unemployment at graduation.

The degrees that matter nowadays and in the future are those which are tied to MANUFACTURING.

And you'll all be surprised that the farmers are the next millionaires.

Comment

I dident go to callege and I gots me a hi payiing jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
                  On average a college graduate will make a lot more than someone without a degree. SO no, it isnt
                  This is true. However, I still say a degree shouldn't cost so much for the average student with no financial backing from the family's trust fund.

I'm sure most students seek all the gov financing they can to help with the costs, though many don't qualify for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                    I dident go to callege and I gots me a hi payiing jab.
                    Lemme guess. You a stripper?

Comment

Originally posted by mokmokv2 View Post
                      Nowadays generally yes. It is a waste of dollars.

With the world's leading economies imploding, getting a degree means less and less when at the end of the day all you'll end up with is a minimum wage or worse unemployment at graduation.

The degrees that matter nowadays and in the future are those which are tied to MANUFACTURING.

And you'll all be surprised that the farmers are the next millionaires.
                      Yes I've heard that manufacturing is a growing field, but farming? how so?

Comment

Working...
                      X