Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cleverly: Sergey Kovalev's Punches were Like a Hammer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clev fought like a nail so I'm not surprised he felt like he was getting hit with a hammer.....wtf was he thinking?!?....that had to be the dumbest game plan they could've came up with....Clev did everything he wasn't supposed to do...smh

Comment

Clev on Kovalev: "It was like a hammer. He wasn't rapid fast, he had good timing, good distance and his punches were just so hard ... His jab, his right hand. Just when he caught you on the shoulder he would have an impact and he was just clubbing me."

I still don't understand why Clev took this fight. One could have seen all those before...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingwizard View Post
        Kovalev is not unstoppable, a boxer like Ward would probably beat him. Hopkins is too old to be tasting leather from Kovalev, I think Hopkins loses. Froch would probably beat him.

If Dawson wasn't shot, he would beat Kovalev.
        I said several times here that Ward would be the only appropriate answer to Kovalev's style.

(Froch would be demolished for the first and last time in his career.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
          Clev fought like a nail so I'm not surprised he felt like he was getting hit with a hammer.....wtf was he thinking?!?....that had to be the dumbest game plan they could've came up with....Clev did everything he wasn't supposed to do...smh
          co-sign

kovalev controlled the distance but it wasn't hard to do as cleverly never moved out of punching range, thinking he could block and counter like he's used to doing...he probably thought he could weather the storm and outwork him late which is a stupid gameplan

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            Clev on Kovalev: "It was like a hammer. He wasn't rapid fast, he had good timing, good distance and his punches were just so hard ... His jab, his right hand. Just when he caught you on the shoulder he would have an impact and he was just clubbing me."

I still don't understand why Clev took this fight. One could have seen all those before...
            probably the same reason danny garcia took the matthysse fight (the mandatory thing could've easily been bypassed by haymon)

can't front on the kid for taking the fight...unlike his hero calzaghe he actually had the balls to challenge a dangerous fighter in his prime

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
              I said several times here that Ward would be the only appropriate answer to Kovalev's style.

(Froch would be demolished for the first and last time in his career.)
              Froch has a granite jaw, but the size difference in KOV might beat him, the guy is really a HW in body shape but not weight.

Comment

That's the impression I took away from the fight. Once Cleverly felt the first punch, he got scared and fought scared. Hopkins would be a bad matchup for Kovalev imo.

Comment

Kovalev clearly has talent but his two wins are mad overrated.

Campillo, glass chinned, has been dropped multiple times in his career, and just so happens to be a very slow starter. Kovalev-Power puncher, very aggressive.

Cleverly, a C-B level fighter with average power at best chose to stand infront of Kovalev while not throwing any punches of his own, not moving his head or feet, taking punishment. The way he fought Kovalev screams amateur, didnt even tie up when he got hurt, and instantly popped up from getting KD'd with the same stand still gameplan.

You couldn't ask for two more tailor made opponents for Kovalev than those two.

Comment

Holy **** has anyone actually seen the full interview on BBC? He seemed pretty level headed until he started giving his recollection of the fight in which he said he easily won round 1, won round 2 and was winning round 3 until he got caught! I do understand if he retires but he won't want to leave the sport like that. I mean it was a total demolition job, I've noticed some people likening it to the Khan vs Prescott fight and I really don't agree with that; I still think Khan on that night would have won 8/10. The Cleverly fight on the other hand was just a drubbing for every second of it and it was so bad that I could never see Cleverly winning at any point in his career even if he improves significantly. Usually when a promising undefeated fighter loses there's some sort of consolation but I just don't see it with this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
                      probably the same reason danny garcia took the matthysse fight (the mandatory thing could've easily been bypassed by haymon)

can't front on the kid for taking the fight...unlike his hero calzaghe he actually had the balls to challenge a dangerous fighter in his prime
                      Kessler, Lacy, Bika.............sorry but Lacy was compared to Tyson heading into that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X