No announcement yet.

Liles and Collins "ducked" Roy Jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    It is hardly news that a lot of deserving fighters are missing from Jones' resumé. Collins is just one of many.
    I can't see how Collins would of stood a chance. Liles and Nunn at smw would of been interesting. They really should of interviewed Liles and Collins, so they could tell their side
    Last edited by Toney616; 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toney616 View Post
      I can't see how Collins would of stood a chance. Liles and Nunn at smw would of been interesting. They really should of interviewed Liles and Collins, so they could tell their side
      I don't think there's a fight (outside heavyweight) where Jones wouldn't have been favoured to win. This just doesn't alter the fact that many names are missing on his record and that is what hinders him from being mentioned as one of the top ATG's. He certainly had the skills.

Comment

Collins brought constant pressure and was not a bad boxer, technician either. He gave even McCallum a tough fight, McCallum was at his peak and Steve was quite young, 25-26. I think he hadn't yet reached his peak or maturity as boxer. And still he managed to give Bodysnatcher a relatively close fight. How? With constant pressure. Nobody likes constant pressure, if somebody claims he does he's talking bs. That somebody deals with it better than others is a different story. But nobody deals with it better than with a style that has less pressure.

Comment

And after Jones watched tapes of this unrelenting pressure Collins was bringing, Roy couldn't stop trembling. After weeks of not sleeping caused by the sheer terror at the thought of fighting Collins, Roy phoned Seth Abraham (HBO's big dog) and begged him not to pair him with Collins. After careful thought (he knew of Collins pressure also),Seth relented and let Roy off the hook by having him face the much easier James Toney. As dumb as this sounds the thought that Jones ducked Liles is even more stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
            And after Jones watched tapes of this unrelenting pressure Collins was bringing, Roy couldn't stop trembling. After weeks of not sleeping caused by the sheer terror at the thought of fighting Collins, Roy phoned Seth Abraham (HBO's big dog) and begged him not to pair him with Collins. After careful thought (he knew of Collins pressure also),Seth relented and let Roy off the hook by having him face the much easier James Toney. As dumb as this sounds the thought that Jones ducked Liles is even more stupid!
            i don't think ur too up on the timeframes mate - the toney fight was 3 or 4 years before people seriously started calling for jones v collins at super middle - if you think a win over collins wouldn't have improved jones's resume i don't have much else to say to you ... he should have brought the pain to at least one of Benn/Eubank/Collins trio - i don't think anybody here is seriously saying they think he would have lost any of these fights but nobody with sense is claiming that wins over any one of these guys wouldn't have improved his cv

Comment

Stone, who were these people who were seriously calling for a Jones/Collins match up? The Brits? Pastrano? The thread stated that Roy ducked Collins and Liles, which anyone with any boxing sense (that excludes you Pastrano) knows is just plain silly. That version of Jones could probably whip them both at the same time. My grind here is with Pastrano who seems to want to make people believe that Pernell Whitaker, Marvin Hagler, and Roy Jones were not really great fighter but media creations and that they ducked serious competition. When called on his bull****, he responds with crude comments not facts or even good humored remarks (like mine).

Comment

Stone, the next thing Patrano will suggest is that your hero and mine (Duran), moved up from lightweight to duck Jim Watt

Comment

With Liles you can blame Don King because King did not want to lose a champion. And with Collins after Reggie Johnson and McCallum, he was better going after the lesser wbo belt. Either way both these guys would have been dominated by Jones Jr. badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jury View Post
                    With Liles you can blame Don King because King did not want to lose a champion..
                    King wanted to make the fight. Through out the early 90's he tried to unify the belts.
                    And with Collins after Reggie Johnson and McCallum, he was better going after the lesser wbo belt. .
                    He had the wbo belt and wanted to unify with Jones
                    Either way both these guys would have been dominated by Jones Jr. badly.
                    Liles would of given Jones a hard time. Lampley said himself that Jones back then didnt want to fight any southpaws. Which is why he avoided Nunn

Comment

Originally posted by Toney616 View Post
                      King wanted to make the fight. Through out the early 90's he tried to unify the belts.

He had the wbo belt and wanted to unify with Jones

Liles would of given Jones a hard time. Lampley said himself that Jones back then didnt want to fight any southpaws. Which is why he avoided Nunn
                      Sooo, Roy got a southpaw scare too? Weelll...looks like both greatest American fighters have it. Floyd and Roy. Americans are such wimps...

Comment

Working...
                      X