Collapse
No announcement yet.

strategy to fight mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an orthodox? Definitely the left uppercut to the body, followed by an overhand right. Maybe an overhand right followed by a left uppercut to the body. Always lead in with the jab.

The key is to go for both head and body, but at different angles.

As a southpaw, it's a matter of that right hook to the body and head, followed by the left hand.

Comment

Outwork him, de la hoya wasnt doing too bad but he tired
      Sharp jabs and overhand rights

Comment

yea i though de la hoya was doing well, and when cotto had his moments it was usually with a jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
          As an orthodox? Definitely the left uppercut to the body, followed by an overhand right. Maybe an overhand right followed by a left uppercut to the body. Always lead in with the jab.

As a southpaw, it's a matter of that right hook to the body and head, followed by the left hand.
          isn't that one of Marquez signature combos? It didn't work so well when he fought Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post

Precisely where many go wrong IMO.
            Oscar, Cotto, Augustus, Judah etc

You can't be predictable against Floyd. You have to mix it up and show him different things or he'll work you out very quickly and it'll only be downhill from there.
            That is why I believe Robert Guerrero can be competitive. He don't do anything great but he does everything well & can adapt on the fly.

Comment

Seriously, trying to outbox a guy who has been boxing since he was in diapers/nappies and has a pro dad and 2 pro uncles is never going to be easy.

I propose THE WINDMILL. Massive Haymaker Windmills.

Floyd would be shocked and KTFO. HBO would think you were a boss and the public would think they had just seen WWE.

WINNING

Comment

Unless you remain calm & focused and continue to throw feints whilst your in the pocket you'll land very little on Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post

i agree.

he right build on a highly skilled fighter would lend itself to outworking floyd mayweather. floyd's natural tendency is to act second. he's a counterpuncher. the basis of any strategy should involve work rate, IMO. power aside, tommy hearns would have a much better time of things on the outside against floyd mayweather. floyd would give up five inches in height and six inches in reach. if he couln't stop him (which i believe he would,) hearns would win the rounds against mayweather on the strength of his jab and his combinations off of it.

Comment

I always thought the key to beating him is to frustrate him and take him into an unfamiliar place.

Get some dirty boxing, be unpredictable, move quickly, and dont let him adapt.

Comment

Strong, stiff, jab. I mean Larry Holmes style.

That'll open it up for more. Unless you can make him pause with a good jab, he'll figure you out quick and start dominating.

Comment

Working...
                      X