The Fight of the Century vs. The Thrilla in Manila

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fight of the Century vs. The Thrilla in Manila

RIP Joe Frazier.

Which was the better of these two classics?

1st Fight (FOTC)
    32.43%
    3rd Fight (Thrilla)
    67.57%

i'd go for Thrilla

both were at the brink of their careers yet they fought like its the last day of their lives

Comment

Definitely Thrilla in Manilla.

I just watched the Doc "The Closest Thing to Dying" about the the 3rd fight and its simply a classic

From a thought to be "shot" Frazier to him being blind in 1 eye, to the 113 degree weather in Manilla and to the simple hatred between these 2 guys. Not to mention the flat out war, where it was a miracle how either fighter was standing

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        Definitely Thrilla in Manilla.

I just watched the Doc "The Closest Thing to Dying" about the the 3rd fight and its simply a classic

From a thought to be "shot" Frazier to him being blind in 1 eye, to the 113 degree weather in Manilla and to the simple hatred between these 2 guys. Not to mention the flat out war, where it was a miracle how either fighter was standing
        if Eddie Futch has decided to let the fight continue, Joe could've survived or Ali will eventually gave up

but then Joe would've had permanent damage to his eye, not that it matters is what Joe said afterwards

RIP Joe

Comment

I would be very biased, because I was there at the "Thrilla in Manila"
          and have witnessed the 14 round war with my own two eyes...

Comment

the third fight was more dramatic for various reasons, but the first fight showed them in their best fighting form (out of the trilogy)

I personnaly prefer their first encounter for that reason

Comment

I liked the Fight of the Century in '71 better.

Both exceptional fights though.

Comment

There's no denying the Thrilla had more of a personal stake, and they did far more damage to each other.

I like the Fight of the Century more though. They were both at such high skill levels that night, and fought so incredibly. They were both better in that fight than they were in the third fight. Also, Frazier won.

Comment

Both such amazing fights...man I hadn't watched these clips for a good number of months and watching them now reminds me why I love this sport. Ali at the beginning of FOTC was beating Joe but he got tired and couldn't continue it, theres no doubt in my mind that the Ali of the 60's could have kept up that pace throughout the fight. Ali was past his best in the first fight and Frazier was in his prime. In the Thrilla in Manilla both fighters were past there best but gave it their all and left it all in the ring that night. It was just a brawl.

Comment

IMO the fight of the century was, the upset was so complete.

Comment

Working...
                    X