Episode No. 7 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode No. 7 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."

Episode No. 7 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."

Episode No. 7 of "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K." starts with some interesting work-out clips from an excited Team U.K. before getting straight to the action.

Team U.K. coach Michael Bisping declares right away that his welterweight David Faulkner will meet house buddy Jason Pierce.

Several members of the team, including Bisping, then take turns singing Faulkner's praises. Faulkner then briefly joins in the chorus.

Back at the house, Team U.S. lightweight Richie Whitson has discovered he has contracted Impetigo, a contagious skin infection. While Pierce offers medical advice, Jason Dent chimes in with his thoughts.

"We love you Richie," Dent says. "We just don't want Herpes."

Whitson clarifies for the record, "It's not Herpes."

Pierce sanitizes every surface of the house, as well as most of the breathable air, with aerosol spray.

Back at the gym, Pierce explains he's got a few broken blood vessels in his foot from a preliminary match which are causing pain. Henderson is concerned the injury could be an issue against Faulkner, who is known for his leg locks.

With Team U.K. now at the gym, the alternative training methods carry on. Integrating a sledgehammer and tractor tire into their routine, Team U.K. runs into a few issues.

Andre Winner tears the mats with a direct strike to the floor, though moving the tire to the firm floor didn't help much either. Welterweight James Wilks missed the tire again, much to Bisping's dismay. "The Count" elects to remove the drill from future practices.

Bisping's explanation for why his team isn't really responsible for the mat damage is priceless.

"To be fair, it's not like we weren't supervised," Bisping says. "I mean, let's be honest, there's [expletive] cameras everywhere. And at no point did anybody come out and say, 'Stop doing that.' They all watched it and went, 'Yeah, this is making great TV.'"

As Team U.S. takes over the gym, Pierce isn't excited about the hard practice that assistant coach Cyrille Diabate has scheduled.

Henderson calls Pierce "a mystery." Diabate believes he's more of "a pain in the neck." Maybe it's the dreaded "TUF editing," but both seem correct.

The full Team U.S., save Dent, seems to feel the same according to their comments in the newly appointed "Bash Room."

As Team U.K. trains, it turns out Pierce isn't the only one hurt. Faulkner also has some swelling, a condition he developed after striking himself with the sledgehammer.

The damage from the original blow has become infected, and Team U.K. looks concerned.

While both teams stress about the upcoming fight, UFC President Dana White tries to break the tension with this season's coaches challenge.

The game this year? Tennis.

Coaches once again have $10,000 cash on the line, while the winning team members will earn $1,500 each. Six games will be played, and the winner must be up by two games.

If warm-ups are any indication of the action ahead, this is going to be bad.

After an early 4-0 lead by Team U.S. coach Dan Henderson, the escalating trash talk from the U.S. squad is getting under Bisping's skin. The Brit battles back, but Henderson earns a 6-2 lead.

Bisping takes the loss well.

"I lost a tennis match," Bisping says. "But who cares. You can stick your tennis up your ass. I'll see you on July 11. We'll do it like men."

At the official fight announcement, Bisping calls an audible. Team U.K. lightweight Ross Pearson is called to fight Whitson.

Henderson admits he's concerned that Whitson has been out of training nursing his infection, but the action will go on.

After the crew points out an amazing similarity between a striking dummy and Team U.S.'s Frank Lester, Henderson turns to prepping his real-life student, Whitson. Everything looks good, even as Whitson is thrown through the cage door onto the floor below.

Back at the house, Team U.S.'s Cameron Dollar is having a bit of a nervous breakdown on the balcony outside. He admits alcohol is playing a role, and he laments his poor relationship with his family. The emotions are quickly controlled, and the action turns to Pearson's preparation.

Both fighters register 155 pounds on the dot, and the fight is official. White says he believes it should be a good one.

Ross Pearson vs. Richie Whitson

Referee Herb Dean gets the action started and the two touch gloves before getting underway. Whitson opens with a low kick, then a high kick, though both are checked.

The two clinch, and Whitson forces Pearson to the cage. A few shots find their way inside before Whitson backs away. Pearson charges in on the restart, and slams Whitson to the floor.

Whitson stands right back up, and eventually works free of Pearson. The Brit immediately charges forward with a series of strikes before taking Whitson again to the mat. Whitson tries to lock in a gullotine, but Pearson shakes free.

With Whitson on his knees, Pearson delivers a clear illegal knee to the head. Referee Dean immediately halts the action and deducts on point from Pearson. Luckily for the Team U.K. fighter, Whitson declares himself fit to continue.

On the restart, both fighters engage on the feet. Both score, but Whitson misses with a high kick and Pearson closes the distance. Pearson takes Whitson to the floor for the third time, though the American immediately stands again.

The two break, and a fourth slam moves the action again to the canvas. This time Pearson moves quickly to Whitson's back before he can stand.

Pearson works quickly for the rear-naked choke, but transitions beautifully to an arm bar when Whitson defends. Unprepared and with his arm extended, Whitson taps with 1:21 remaining.

Team U.K. is ecstatic and now holds a 4-2 lead.

The preview for next week shows Team U.S. again sagging in morale, while Pierce and Faulkner will be forced to battle through their injuries.

LIGHTWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUT

* Ross Pearson def. Richie Whitson via submission (arm-bar) 0 Round 1, 3:39

Download it here.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...&postcount=247

Comment

It just seems to me that the UK guys are more focused and hungrier about all this. I think they see a guy like Bisbane and how he made it big and they can see it for themselves.

The US has some decent fighters but it seems as though their heads aren't in it. The young kid that was crying asking to go home and missing his family, I mean come on, toughen up and put things in perspective.

This is a once in a lifetime deal for these guys and they are missing home? Don't they realize this could change their lives forever?

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
        It just seems to me that the UK guys are more focused and hungrier about all this. I think they see a guy like Bisbane and how he made it big and they can see it for themselves.

The US has some decent fighters but it seems as though their heads aren't in it. The young kid that was crying asking to go home and missing his family, I mean come on, toughen up and put things in perspective.

This is a once in a lifetime deal for these guys and they are missing home? Don't they realize this could change their lives forever?
        What makes it pathetic in my eyes is that the guys from the UK have traveled 5000 miles in hopes that they can live out their dreams. And even though they miss their homes and friends and families they knuckle down, work hard and don't ***** and moan about the whole situation. Yet guys like Dollar and Pierce whine like babies over very trivial things IMO.

That aside, I have to say Ross's performance was very clinical. You can tell he's a real firecracker especially when he got overexcited and fed Richie an illegal knee. But that transition from back mount to armbar was very nice. I honestly thought that Richie had worked his way out if it and was about to get on top but Ross locked it up good and proper.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
          What makes it pathetic in my eyes is that the guys from the UK have traveled 5000 miles in hopes that they can live out their dreams. And even though they miss their homes and friends and families they knuckle down, work hard and don't ***** and moan about the whole situation. Yet guys like Dollar and Pierce whine like babies over very trivial things IMO.

That aside, I have to say Ross's performance was very clinical. You can tell he's a real firecracker especially when he got overexcited and fed Richie an illegal knee. But that transition from back mount to armbar was very nice. I honestly thought that Richie had worked his way out if it and was about to get on top but Ross locked it up good and proper.

Yea I agree 100%, I think it shows how Americans have gotten "soft" in our overendulgent society. The English understand what is at stake here and I don't know if the Americans do though.

What's funny is how the English get upset when the Americans huddle up and do the "USA on 3" chant....lol. I can tell they are doing it just to piss off the English and it's funny as hell.

I was hoping the red head (richie I think) would do better. He seemed strong and a good well balanced fighter. His striking was off just a bit and he was off balance the whole fight. I would have liked to see him throw more knees at the shorter opponent but he never fired one knee of consiquence.

Comment

what really pisses me off is those idiots who b*tch bout bein in the house when theres 100s of fighters who'd give nething to be in their place

Comment

Working...
            X