No announcement yet.

best at weight classes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    I said it was similar....the line of thinking.

Bob Foster did actually hold a title at 175. He had a title and 14 defenses vs Charles' zero of either. That plus thinking Foster would win head-to-head is why some people think Foster goes down as a greater 175lber than Charles. It's not as unfathomable as you think. I would rate Charles higher, but understand where the Foster fans are coming from.
    I would pick Foster head to head against any lightheavyweight I've ever seen.

Comment

It maybe "absurb" to you but then again me discussing boxing with you is "absurb" to me!
      You see you need records and record comparisons to formulate an opinion where as people who evaluate talent and get PAID to do it (Me) just need to "see" a fighter to tell how good or great they can be!!

I didn't say you had to agree with me so relax!
      My main guy would be Tuney, and he fought from Middle to Heavy and was a terrific fighter at any weight but I think LtHvy was his best!
      ..nite kids play nice and don't hate to much its bad for your teeth! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        It maybe "absurb" to you but then again me discussing boxing with you is "absurb" to me!
        You see you need records and record comparisons to formulate an opinion where as people who evaluate talent and get PAID to do it (Me) just need to "see" a fighter to tell how good or great they can be!!

I didn't say you had to agree with me so relax!
        My main guy would be Tuney, and he fought from Middle to Heavy and was a terrific fighter at any weight but I think LtHvy was his best!
        ..nite kids play nice and don't hate to much its bad for your teeth! Ray.
        Evander Holyfield was never a lightheavyweight as a professional. Your (allegedly) paid opinion can't change a fact. It has nothing to do with agreeing. Floyd Mayweather was a great amateur featherweight, but he didn't compete at that weight class as a pro. It is the same comparison. Tunney, on the other hand, fought often at 175 and can be rated there.

Any chance that you can comprehend this? Yeah, didn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I don't think it's similar.

Louis' combination of quality and quantity can be argued over Ali's quality.

Foster's doesn't come anywhere close to Charles'.
          Maybe if Louis quality was close or comparable to Ali's. But it isn't

Comment

Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde

Bantamweight - Eder Jofre

Featherweight - Willie Pep

Lightweight - Benny Leonard

Welterweight - Ray Robinson

Middleweight - Carlos Monzon

Light Heavyweight - Ezzard Charles

Heavyweight - Joe Louis
            Apart from Miguel Canto at Flyweight, this is pretty much how I'd have it. Maybe Duran at 135 and Greb at 160 too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Iron Dan; I hold Evander very close to that division because he was outstanding to watch as a LightHeavy!! In the amatuers I had him at the Olympic Training Center (82 & 83) and he made weight without any problems and was terrific at 178 (amatuer LtHvy) so 175 was a natural at that time. Evander at 175 I feel could be competitive with all the great LtHvys!
              Its just a personal opinion I have from seeing him work at that weight!
              He did grow out after the Olympics to a natural 180lbs then upwards but at 175 he was a monster I think he was 150-15 with more than half the wins buy knockout! Its tuff to get KOs in the amatuers especially when your on a elite level with other top notch guys! Ray.
              He might have been the greatest ever at LHW, but by the time he'd gotten into the paid ranks, he'd outgrown it and never fought there once as a pro.

We are talking about their pro records, not what might have been.

Comment

Eder Jofre is the best middleweight I've ever had the pleasure too have laid eyes on, he never fought there of course but I've seen enough to know that he is indeed the greatest, my opinion is higher then that of everyone else here who needs these silly 'facts', 'records' and those who think a boxer can't be the best at that weight without having fought there are just damn stupid.

Of course I don't expect any of you too understand this, you can try but your puny minds cannot comprehend, you best all believe my word is final because I've been an important figure in boxing and know everyone without anyone knowing me and also I'm a ****!. Nick.
                Last edited by NChristo; 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Maybe if Louis quality was close or comparable to Ali's. But it isn't
                  His quality alone isn't but his combination of quality and quantity is.

Foster's isn't comparable to Charles'.

Comment

His quality alone isn't but his combination of quality and quantity is.

Foster's isn't comparable to Charles'.
                    Resume wise I agree with you. But based on what I've watched, I have a hard time seeing any light heavyweight beating Foster. Not that it couldn't or wouldn't happen but Foster looks scary at that weight.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                      Resume wise I agree with you. But based on what I've watched, I have a hard time seeing any light heavyweight beating Foster. Not that it couldn't or wouldn't happen but Foster looks scary at that weight.
                      And that's what I'm talking about, resume wise.

I guess H2H he has an argument but then again, I don't see him beating Charles, Moore, Tunney and perhaps Roy Jones, Billy Conn and Micheal Spinks also have a legit chance of beating him IMO.

If we're talking H2H then surely Roy Jones has to be up there. Which is of course realistically and historically incorrect. But I don't have to tell you that.

I mean, Bob Foster was a great fighter. I was a little too young in the late 1960's to remember the start of his reign but I remember the end of his reign vividly, I witnessed Bob Foster so I know first hand how good of a fighter he was.

I think his power causes him to be a little overrated. He has the ability to hang with anyone at LHW and possibly win but there's no way I would favour him over the Top guys. That said, there's people that I would rank ahead of him like Harold Johnson for example, his resume far exceeds Bob Foster's but I would favour to beat him.

Bob Foster is perhaps unlucky that he was amongst a relatively weak LHW era. He fought and beat the best fighters available but a lot of the time those fighters were underwhelming. And the one stand out win he has over Dick Tiger, he deserves a lot of credit for, for beating the Champion, but let's face it, it looked like he was fighting a young child.

Either way, I'm just saying that resume wise, there is no case for Bob Foster to be ranked at #1 at LHW or anywhere close for that matter.

And I wouldn't say it's similar to ranking Joe Louis at #1 at HW, at all.
                      Last edited by IronDanHamza; 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X