Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - Deontay Wilder’s Heavy Burden of Proof

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - Deontay Wilder’s Heavy Burden of Proof

by David P. Greisman - Show a casual fan the video of Deontay Wilder knocking Sergei Liakhovich out in less than two minutes and with one punch, leaving the former heavyweight titleholder on his back and with his arms and legs flailing involuntarily.

Show the casual fan a compilation of Wilder’s pro career as if it were a highlight reel, and then tell him that Wilder has faced 29 opponents and knocked out all 29, that Wilder has ended 17 of those fights within the first round, ended 23 of those fights within two rounds, ended 27 of those fights within three rounds, and ended all 29 of those fights within four.

Do all of this, and the casual fan will ask you how long it will be until Wilder becomes the next Mike Tyson.

Do all of this with a hardcore boxing fan and he will ask you how long it will be until Wilder becomes the next Michael Grant.

We’re approaching three decades since the days when Tyson tore through his opposition — knocking out 25 of his first 27, including 15 of them in the first round, 4 of them in the second, 2 in the third and 1 in the fourth. His next fight made him the youngest-ever heavyweight titleholder; stopping Trevor Berbick within two. Seven fights later, he became the undisputed heavyweight champion, knocking out Michael Spinks barely halfway into the first.

The years since have brought far too many cases [Click Here To Read More]

/in before radio freaking box, ready to slob that knob. Wilder might indeed be something, but the hype on NSB right now is beyond ridiculous.

Comment

Loved number 10, also spot on on how I feel about Wilder

Comment

The funny thing is, I thought Wilder was going to box for the first couple rounds against Liakovich, but his right hand just killed him instead.

I REALLY want to see Wilder against an opponent who can pump at least 25 solid jabs per round at him.

Adamek or even Malik Scott maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
          The funny thing is, I thought Wilder was going to box for the first couple rounds against Liakovich, but his right hand just killed him instead.

I REALLY want to see Wilder against an opponent who can pump at least 25 solid jabs per round at him.

Adamek or even Malik Scott maybe.
          Adamek would get murdered at this point. Scott may be defensively sound enough to last a few rounds anyway.

Comment

lmao weak fight, wilder has his hands so low also, he will get picked apart with anyone with skill and he was taking shots that he shudnet of been taking from a shot fighter. Defense needs alot of work and head movement. Aswell as his speed etc etc. too green for his record.

Comment

I don't see how in the fight the announcers could say that Wilder's people were trying to get him to do some rounds when out of Liakhovich's 5 defeats, 4 were by KO & was coming of a 2 KO loosing streak. Even thou it was a nasty KO, it was already expected for Wilder to KO him at any point in the fight..

Comment

Originally posted by Tomasio View Post
                I don't see how in the fight the announcers could say that Wilder's people were trying to get him to do some rounds when out of Liakhovich's 5 defeats, 4 were by KO & was coming of a 2 KO loosing streak. Even thou it was a nasty KO, it was already expected for Wilder to KO him at any point in the fight..
                Looks good to me so far. A heavyweight with so quickness. I see him and Haye or Fury next year.

Comment

Author is a joke. He was exposed for not knowing the rules of boxing regarding the 10 count, and instead of manfully acknowledging his mistake, or understandably ignoring it, he actually defended the indefensible. The ko was valid, and it would have been unfair to Chisora to allow a fight to continue that Scott allowed the time to expire on. Sorry, that's what happens when you wait so long.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewa1 View Post
                    Author is a joke. He was exposed for not knowing the rules of boxing regarding the 10 count, and instead of manfully acknowledging his mistake, or understandably ignoring it, he actually defended the indefensible. The ko was valid, and it would have been unfair to Chisora to allow a fight to continue that Scott allowed the time to expire on. Sorry, that's what happens when you wait so long.
                    So, where in the U.K. are you from?

Also, did you read what Mickey Vann wrote?
                    Last edited by Mr. David; 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X