Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far do you study boxing in terms of years...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far do you study boxing in terms of years...

I don't know how some of you are able to watch the old timers, and learn about the history while still keeping up with the new days. I'm try to watch as much boxing as I can, but time doesn't allow me to study it as one needs to get an in-depth insight into the history of the sport. The oldest I have studied boxing is the ali era I think. I have read, and watched documentaries about fighters before Ali, but I have never seen them fight. If anyone on here knows me they know i'm not oblivious to the sweet science, yet I do not perceive myself as knowledgeable as posters in the history section. So how far have you gone back in boxing to watch, and study their time period and the prevalent fights in that time.

Im 32 and i started watching when i was about 11 yrs old. My whole family was always huge boxing fans, we would always get together at my uncles and he would throw a huge party for all the fights. It would be difficult to start now and try to go back. I followed a lot of the eras as they were happening.

I would say keep track of you era and do what you can as far as eras past. Alot of the excitement for myself and living through the eras as all the fights and rivalries were unfolding. That probably doesn't help much but just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jai mari078 View Post
      Im 32 and i started watching when i was about 11 yrs old. My whole family was always huge boxing fans, we would always get together at my uncles and he would throw a huge party for all the fights. It would be difficult to start now and try to go back. I followed a lot of the eras as they were happening.

I would say keep track of you era and do what you can as far as eras past. Alot of the excitement for myself and living through the eras as all the fights and rivalries were unfolding. That probably doesn't help much but just my opinion.
      Yeah...I'm having a hard time keeping up with my era...

How am I supposed to learn about eras before that? It's crazy how much history the sport has, but I love learning about boxing. Sounds like you've seen alot...don't be afraid to drop boxing knowledge on these punk ass trolls...

Comment

Pretty much to the start of the 20th century, but mostly all I know from 1900 to the mid 1920s are heavyweights.

I know very little about the history before the 20th century, and especially the bare-knuckle era.

Comment

One old-time fighter I really want to learn more about is Mysterious Billy Smith, known as one of the dirtiest fighters of all-time. Check out how many DQ losses he has.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...1315&cat=boxer

There's a book about him, but it's pretty hard to find.

Comment

i never heard of him

Comment

Originally posted by 510-WANG-JR View Post
              i never heard of him
              Neither had I until a couple years ago.

Comment

whats so great about him besides the dq?

Comment

I'm not sure exactly how great of a fighter he was. I see him ranked all over the place on lists.

I just want to learn more about him and his nefarious tactics.

Comment

so is he an atg?

Comment

Working...
                    X