Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Cotto would beat Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I think a lot of it is based on the notion that Martinez is shot and Cotto has been reinvented in some way. I, for one, am not a fan of Cotto fighting at a higher weight. To be honest, I don't even like him fighting at JMW.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratchet View Post
      Again, nice breakdown. My thoughts, though, is that no one ever consistently hits Sergio to the body and no one ever pins him up against the ropes. With his longer reach and stronger power at the higher weights, I see Sergio able to wither the early storm and being able to stop Cotto in the middle rounds.
      He's going to have more trouble getting away from Cotto than he did against Chavez Jr., Macklin, and Murray. His knees have very much slowed down his movement and he does get trapped more than he used to, but Maravilla on the inside is no slouch. Cotto needs to be in great shape and have the gameplan down before fight night. Sergio might take Cotto's best and smile. I doubt it, Maravilla's chin hasn't ever been the greatest and softening him up to body will help too.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
        Well I think a lot of it is based on the notion that Martinez is shot and Cotto has been reinvented in some way. I, for one, am not a fan of Cotto fighting at a higher weight. To be honest, I don't even like him fighting at JMW.
        I honestly don't think he's been "reinvented". Seriously...who thought Rodriguez was going to win that fight? He did what he was supposed to do when he got the KO early. I would love to see Cotto go back to 147. He was a beast amongst men.

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
        He's going to have more trouble getting away from Cotto than he did against Chavez Jr., Macklin, and Murray. His knees have very much slowed down his movement and he does get trapped more than he used to, but Maravilla on the inside is no slouch. Cotto needs to be in great shape and have the gameplan down before fight night. Sergio might take Cotto's best and smile. I doubt it, Maravilla's chin hasn't ever been the greatest and softening him up to body will help too.
        My thing is that Maravilla fights at an angle. He always has his body tucked at an angle. I haven't seen anyone (of recent memory) be able to get to his body. Cotto is short and doesn't have a long reach at Middleweight. Punching power means nothing when you can't reach your target. Cotto can definitely cut off the ring better than a Chavez or Murray but I think the size difference will be too big for Cotto to overcome. Martinez is pretty slick. I just think that it's going too hard for Cotto to get inside on Martinez. Of course, If Martinez does something stupid like try and trade with Cotto, I can see him losing. But, I don't think he'll do that.

Comment

Sergio would beat Cotto.

As bad as Sergio's declined. Cotto's declined even more so, at a weight class he's not even natural in.

Comment

I have no idea. Martinez has all the advantages over Cotto.

Comment

simple martinez its very overated, a old men begging for paydays just like he challenge floyd,cotto and if im not mistaking he said if manny comes up to 154 he will also fight him so please this bum martinez will get his ass kick by all 3 names i just drop!!

Comment

Working...
              X