Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Aaron Pryor the unluckiest fighter ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read that too on wikipedia, in some way, it can be a blessing for boxing fans Leonard vs Pryor in 1982 didnt happen, Pryor had a great fight with Arguello, and Leonard was clearing the way for a Hagler dream match, knowing fully well Pryor was as much threat until '84-'85, not that SRL cant beat him but a loss would ruined a fight with Hagler and rematch with Hearns and a third fight with Duran later.

Comment

Pryor turned down double a career high payday then claimed Leonard ducked him. Id say more stupid than lucky.

Comment

What time is it?

Comment

Naw, he beat the great Alexis Arguello, even tho Arguello was fighting out of his best weight class which was 135, not once but twice so there's that.

He loses to Duran, SRL but beats Boom Boom Mancini.

Comment

No, SRL would've beaten him bad had they fought in 1982. Duran is near 50/50, but would probably edge the hawk in a close one. He beats Mancini in a ninth round war.

Comment

Pryor was lucky those fights never materialized.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                No, SRL would've beaten him bad had they fought in 1982. Duran is near 50/50, but would probably edge the hawk in a close one. He beats Mancini in a ninth round war.
                In what world is a Duran/Pryor fight 50/50?

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
                  In what world is a Duran/Pryor fight 50/50?
                  I said near 50/50, Duran's the man, but Pryor is also a badass.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                    I said near 50/50, Duran's the man, but Pryor is also a badass.
                    Like you, I think Pryor was a quality fighter, but below 147 Duran was damn near unbeatable and would have hammer the dogshyte out of Pryor and his face first attack.

Comment

Unlucky to have so little self control.

He is probably fortunate in terms of legacy never to have fought Duran. He was a good fighter but I think too hittable to beat Duran. Instead, I can see him becoming a perfect feast for Duran because he will not run. He will want to stand and go to war where he will be out-techniqued from the opening bell. Pryor did not have the deep medicine bag of traditional knowledge, he just used his fine natural athleticism and basic boxing knowledge. He would have landed some good punches, yes, but Duran would crowd him and land 4 times as many. It took Pryor almost a full fifteen rounder to pound out poor, past prime, over his weight, Arguello twice. Duran isn't going anywhere from Pryor's punches.

I feel it is likely Duran would have exhumed, exposed and exploited a balance deficit in Pryor who got away with being off balance with the less mobile thin man.

Comment

Working...
                      X