Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Hatton make the adjustments needed to be a long term success at welterweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    The guy is 30 years old, and has a career record of 46 professional fights. He's not learning anything new at this point, everything he did last night against Paulie he's already done in the past against guys like Urango. People just tend to forget it because he rarely ever fights in that fashion.

And at 147lbs he's entirely too small, he can't hang with guys like Cotto and Clottey, and he'd be murdered against guys like Margarito and Williams.
    I find myself agreeing with The_Bringer alot today.

I'm sure it will hurt my street cred but there you have it

Comment

Good question. I think he could be a success yes, most definitely. But the question is how much of a success. He's a quality 140 fighter but 147 just doesn't seem to suite him and it's a different kettle of fish up there. Someone mentioned Paul Williams and Margarito murder him, and with that height and reach advantage it's difficult to disagree. Those two are freaks and others aren't a lot smaller, so Hatton has a tough time with most of the top guys.

It's a shame there's not more bigger fights in his weight class, some other guys can't make it down to 140, or there's a few big fights at weights below whom can move up to him for once. But even saying that JMM, and Pac are immensely good fighters so I'm not confident about Ricky's future, unfortunately. Shame.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
        Good question. I think he could be a success yes, most definitely. But the question is how much of a success. He's a quality 140 fighter but 147 just doesn't seem to suite him and it's a different kettle of fish up there. Someone mentioned Paul Williams and Margarito murder him, and with that height and reach advantage it's difficult to disagree. Those two are freaks and others aren't a lot smaller, so Hatton has a tough time with most of the top guys.

It's a shame there's not more bigger fights in his weight class, some other guys can't make it down to 140, or there's a few big fights at weights below whom can move up to him for once. But even saying that JMM, and Pac are immensely good fighters so I'm not confident about Ricky's future, unfortunately. Shame.
        I think that you are right.as well as the obvious advantages in height and reach,Williams and Margarito are physically strong at the weight,also they have both got good chins.Not sure I agree with you about Pacman and JMM though.Hatton vs Pacquiao is a pretty mouthwatering prospect.what a tear up that would be! JMM would be a more technical fight,but with him coming up in weight,that is something that might work in hattons favour as Ricky is probably the strongest physically at his weight.At welter I think Hattons best option would be Berto,but even that would be tough.

Comment

I don't see it happening. Hatton has proven twice already his vulnerability to being hurt at the weight (and not by particularly devastating punchers either). Against beasts like Margarito, Williams, Cotto, perhaps even Clottey, I see him being stopped. He should remain at 140.

Comment

Hatton will never be a top 5 welterweight. His game is based around bullying his opponent around and he can't do that to today's Welters, most of which are light middleweights who cut weight. He doesn't have the boxing ability of a Berto or Cotto to make up for his lack of height and reach.

Comment

Originally posted by AceNguyen View Post
              Hatton will never be a top 5 welterweight. His game is based around bullying his opponent around and he can't do that to today's Welters, most of which are light middleweights who cut weight. He doesn't have the boxing ability of a Berto or Cotto to make up for his lack of height and reach.
              Do you think that Hatton could cut down to 135 and have a crack at lightweight if he doesnt let his weight balloon?

Comment

Working...
              X