No announcement yet.

Best defensive fighter? Mayweather or Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
    The brain damage he's taken comes from the insane amount of sparring he's done over the years. Whitaker's speech is more slurred than Toney, does that mean his defense was inferior?
    And of course, he's fought heavyweights, cruiserweights and lightheavyweights. Floyd hasn't done that.

People also like to forget that Toney's speech was never good to begin with. He's more or less always had issues with that.

Comment

James Toney was the better counter puncher and Floyd is the better defensive boxer. Keywords being: Boxer, fighter.

Floyd is a pure boxer with a boxers mentality while Toney is a boxer with a fighters mentality. Floyd gets hit less but he also counters a lot less then Toney. James is willing to stand inside the pocket or off the ropes and counter.

Mayweather uses his legs more to go with his shoulder roll while Toney stands right infront of you and slips, slides, dips, rolls and has a wider variety of punches and moves.

In terms of not getting hit then yes Floyd gets hit a lot less but he also doesn't take as many risks as James. In my opinion James has more boxing skills and is the more entertaining fighter then Floyd.

Comment

Peter, his defense is so good he can use his head to block punches

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          What are you talking about,,, we are talking about boxing,,,

let floyd do his shoulder roll in a street fight or mma fight vs couture and he would be crying for his daddy and uncle
          That's my point in Boxing your not allowed to duck or lean past your waist line James Toney go way further than that yet the refs never call him on that foul why do think Sam Peter had to sledge hammer him on the side of the ear ?

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            Both were/are defensive geniuses who could slip and slide punches like not many other could or can do. Both were considered P4P the best in their prime.

Which one is the better defensive fighter?
            Not trying to bow out; but I think this one's a draw in all honesty. Toney moved all the way up to heavyweight to make the mediocre big men look like the non-technicians they were. You can't fight power without some kind of special skill; and he had it in spades.

Floyd's record speaks for itself.

Toney was a better combination puncher and in a pound for pound matchup, it would be a tossup......but I'd favour Toney.

Comment

Working...
            X