No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Justifying HBO’s Broner Infatuation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Justifying HBO’s Broner Infatuation

by David P. Greisman - You could tell that HBO was infatuated with Adrien Broner from the very beginning.

You can tell now that, this time, it’s different.

It’s different than it was with Jermain Taylor from 2004 into 2007.

It’s different than it was with Andre Berto from 2006 into 2011.

It’s different than many other American prospects who have appeared on the network in recent years, particularly those advised by the powerful Al Haymon.

It’s different because Adrien Broner seems to have the proverbial goods. And it’s different because Broner also seems to be bringing in the ratings.

There had at first been a sense, and later a sentiment, that Taylor and Berto were being forced upon us, hyped up without earning respect or building a reputation. Taylor, despite his flaws, was established from the outset as the heir apparent to middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins. Berto, despite his flaws, was portrayed as the next great welterweight to follow in the footsteps of Floyd Mayweather.

Taylor went on to top Hopkins and ascend to the throne at 160, but he never seemed fit to be king. His nickname of “Bad Intentions” soon gave way to a derisive derivative: “Bad Decisions.” Berto, meanwhile, was good enough to become a titleholder but never showed himself to be great. His loss in 2011 to Victor Ortiz, followed by his defeat last year against Robert Guerrero, proved that he was worth watching for the excitement, but they also cemented that he might not have been worth the network’s investment. [Click Here To Read More]

Yes, its justified so far.

Comment

Female boxers don't tend to be as 'legitimately skilled' as male boxers, in part because far more males box than females do.

According to Boxrec, the most populated division for females has 145 fighters, while there are several divisions in which there are over 1000 male fighters. In men's boxing the standard of competition is much highee and there are far more knockouts, so the lack of sex parity in promotion is justified in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
        Yes, its justified so far.
        No doubt about it. I can only speak for myself, but Broner did his job when it came to this viewer. Whether I even like him as a person or not is irrelevant. He got me to watch last night with great interest. Now would I have watched any HBO boxing card last night? Sure, but...with the same interest? Most cards probably not.

I mean for f**k's sake I was excited about a card with a main event that included Gavin Rees (with all due respect to Rees).

Comment

Broner da troof

Comment

Broner is a disaster in the making. He's a purse snatcher who punches little old ladies in the face for a few bux. And he has illegitimate kids all over the place. We'll all be paying to feed those soon.

People don't change, so I expect this piece of **** to end up in jail or dead. And Max Kellerman to weep like Cris Arreola after getting beaten to a pulp by Vitali when it happens.

Amerikans and their infatuation with ghetto slime never fails to amaze.

Comment

Broner impressed me so I can kind of understand the hype that surrounds him. He showed glimpses of a Ray Leonard or Roy Jones with his combinations. Floyd as good as he is was a pot shotter and didnt really tyry to take people out but Broner appears to be a more capable fighter aggressivley.

Made me laugh when he was showboating and Ress caught him with a left hook. The shock in his face was priceless. If he was in with a puncher it could have been the most comical KO of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nephilim View Post
                Broner is a disaster in the making. He's a purse snatcher who punches little old ladies in the face for a few bux. And he has illegitimate kids all over the place. We'll all be paying to feed those soon.

People don't change, so I expect this piece of **** to end up in jail or dead. And Max Kellerman to weep like Cris Arreola after getting beaten to a pulp by Vitali when it happens.

Amerikans and their infatuation with ghetto slime never fails to amaze.
                Wait.. why would he end up in jail or dead??

Comment

I like Broner and he'll be a superstar it's guaranteed. HBO is behind him...but even more his personality attracts a lot of haters.

Comment

Broner is an arrogant, ****y 23 year old, WITH TALENT.
                    The idiotic ass kissing of Max Kellerman during post fight interview is ludicrious, why would you pander to fighter is so disrespectful to other fighters by PRETENDING not to know who they are. Max CHECK YOURSELF!!!!
                    HBO have a little respect for the sport, don't waste time interviewing Broner if he can't be a respectful...............

Comment

Working...
                    X