Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I lift weights for MY specific reason.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I lift weights for MY specific reason.

So right now I'm 5'6" 128 pounds, SKINNY. Small filipino. I'm 17. I have am just getting around to finishing my first month of boxing. I work hard in the gym learning how to box each day 5-6 days a week for 2-3 hours.

Now all I used to do in my younger years(literally till I was late 16) was play video games AT LEAST 4-5 hours a day, everyday. I NEVER got into sports, I can't even ride a bike or tread water. I throw a football like a girl. Basically I'm the skinny asian nerd at school who got into boxing. Thankfully I'm a good learner.

The problem is I feel like I truely have no power unless I can land a totally flush shot(which right now is incredibly hard for me). I've always been one of if not the weakest kids in PE class, I'm thinking a little biceps and weight training 3 days out of the week could help out in some strength.

I plan to do high reps of low weights. 10-15, since even 25 is way pushing my strength, **** 20 is killer on my left arm..

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
    So right now I'm 5'6" 128 pounds, SKINNY. Small filipino. I'm 17. I have am just getting around to finishing my first month of boxing. I work hard in the gym learning how to box each day 5-6 days a week for 2-3 hours.

Now all I used to do in my younger years(literally till I was late 16) was play video games AT LEAST 4-5 hours a day, everyday. I NEVER got into sports, I can't even ride a bike or tread water. I throw a football like a girl. Basically I'm the skinny asian nerd at school who got into boxing. Thankfully I'm a good learner.

The problem is I feel like I truely have no power unless I can land a totally flush shot(which right now is incredibly hard for me). I've always been one of if not the weakest kids in PE class, I'm thinking a little biceps and weight training 3 days out of the week could help out in some strength.

I plan to do high reps of low weights. 10-15, since even 25 is way pushing my strength, **** 20 is killer on my left arm..
    ariza has got the answers for you. and by the way, anyone asks- remember you're scared of needles...

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
      ariza has got the answers for you. and by the way, anyone asks- remember you're scared of needles...

Comment

If you want to build up some strength and put on a bit of mass, low weight and high reps is just about the worst possible combination you could do. You need to lift heavy.

The best exercises for putting on muscle are squats and deadlifts. These will work your entire posterior chain (hamstrings, back, traps, delts, etc), not to mention your forearms. I'd throw in benchpress for your chest, and maybe a couple of assistance exercises/lifts like pullups and bent-over rows.

People will say "you don't need power" to be a good boxer, some people even stick to the outdated view that weight training and boxing don't mix at all. I've found that it helps immensely to have the extra explosiveness built through heavy lifting in your arsenal. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, if done correctly, squats and deadlifts actually build fast-twitch muscles rather than slow-twitch. Fast-twitch are the ones you need for boxing.

Incidentally, whilst I only started boxing about 10 months ago, I was lifting for about 8 or 9 months previous to that. I stopped when I started boxing, but I've recently picked it back up again and noticed a massive difference.

A half decent starting point would be to take a look at Starting Strength. It won't be exactly what you want -- it tends to place what I think is extra emphasis on squats -- but in terms of building a foundation of strength, definitely better that your current plan! I followed SS for about 10 weeks before making my own routine, but I would definitely reccomend it as a starting point.

Edit: a link to the program

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
        Last edited by as646; 08-03-2012, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X