No announcement yet.

Ask a Chicano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    In most Latin American countries you keep the name from your father and mother's side. It's a way of showing your family tree in just your name.

I carry my fathers last name and from my mothers side.
    Don't you live in Pr now? If so, hows life there?

Whatever happened to that Haitian kid you were training?

What's some behind the scene boxing info that you know that would shock us?

Comment

• Originally posted by killacash View Post
      Don't you live in Pr now? If so, hows life there?

Whatever happened to that Haitian kid you were training?

What's some behind the scene boxing info that you know that would shock us?
      I don't live in PR, I have lived there and had a child from a PR girl.

He's doing great and will turn pro next year at 118lbs. He just beat the best 118lber in the state of Florida for the second time in a year. He is incredibly fast, has great stamina and his defense is good. He's just young and a little immature and I hope he keeps his feet on the ground.

Let me see if I can find a video of him and post it.

Behind the scene type stuff that would shock you guys.....hmmm

Well I think the absolute worst of the boxing biz is the way certain "trainers" and promoters use young fighters up. There are some gyms here in Florida (won't name names) that literally take a kid, tell him to hit the bag a few times, get him into decent shape and then fill his head with all kinds of nonsense like how good of a fighter he is and then set him up like a piece of meat to gain money off of him.

I watched a trainer wait for his cut of the purse, which was $35 on a fight for 2 hours. It was disgusting, I have had fighters make $3,500 and not take a penny from them because I know they are in dire need. They don't have money to feed their family, or buy diapers so I can't take a cut from such a small amount.

Those same fighters though will not leave me when the real money starts rolling in.

Comment

• Why do gangsters claim bro wn pride but tag up homes businesses in there own community? These people are sell outs and have no clue about what having pride in ones neighborhood is

Comment

• Originally posted by Hobo View Post
          Why do gangsters claim bro wn pride but tag up homes businesses in there own community? These people are sell outs and have no clue about what having pride in ones neighborhood is
          This is true, I used to be big into graffiti back in my time, then I realized it was just making a mess of things. I mean there's some great graffiti writers out there, but I wasn't one of them...haha

It's cultural man, kids do stupid things.

Comment

• Here's s vid of that Haitian kid that I train. It was the most recent I could find, he's gotten much better now and has even sparred Rigondoux on a few occasions. He's the black kid obviously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              Here's s vid of that Haitian kid that I train. It was the most recent I could find, he's gotten much better now and has even sparred Rigondoux on a few occasions. He's the black kid obviously.

Kid is tall and has fast hands and I definitely can see potential in him. What weight class and height is he? Don't like how he has his right hand low. Appreciate it and keep us up to date on him.

Comment

• What's the difference between "Chicano" and "Latino"?

Comment

• Originally posted by killacash View Post
                  Kid is tall and has fast hands and I definitely can see potential in him. What weight class and height is he? Don't like how he has his right hand low. Appreciate it and keep us up to date on him.
                  Yea me either, I tell him to keep his hand up, sometimes he does it then other times he goes right back to where he feels comfortable.

Comment

• Originally posted by [ DUBBZZ ] View Post
                    What's the difference between "Chicano" and "Latino"?
                    I don't like the term Latino because it doesn't represent who I am. I am a Chicano, or Mexican but I don't speak Latin and don't come from Europe.

It's just a term that the U.S govt came up with.

Comment

• ^ I also read somewhere that Chicano was once a racist term, it was vulgar back in the day but Mexican Americans embraced it. Not sure where I read that it was a while back when I was real high on learning about the Mexican American civil rights movement and stuff..

Raza we need to learn our history cuz our **** don't get taught in schools.

Comment

Working...
                      X