Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Lennox Lewis vs McCall a Bad Stoppage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
    I'm just looking at the state of the fighters at the time of the stoppage. Both all over the place and legs gone.

Lewis is in a slightly better position because he got his hands up. But that was the beginning of the round. Lewis is going right back down if he allows it to continue.

He could barely hold himself up. Let alone defend himself.
    But the ref's have to take into account the whole fight and the amount of damage a fighter has taken, and Juanma looked awful coming off his stool going into the 10th. Refs notice things like that. and JML is my favourite fighter, but I didn't want to see any more.

Comment

Lewis wasn't being beaten up, he deserved to be given a chance.

But what I never noticed before was how the ref. takes Lewis gum shield out... anyone find that a little bit disgusting?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
        Lewis wasn't being beaten up, he deserved to be given a chance.

But what I never noticed before was how the ref. takes Lewis gum shield out... anyone find that a little bit disgusting?
        A lot of refs do that.

Comment

It was only one punch in the second round. Early in the fight and hadn't been taking a beating. He was the champion and I would have let him go on, but he was wobbly, so you can't really call that a bad call.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
            A lot of refs do that.
            Really? Guess thats the first time I've noticed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
              Really? Guess thats the first time I've noticed it.
              Most of the time I've seen them do it is when the fighter is all the way down and they have stopped the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by RossCA View Post
                Most of the time I've seen them do it is when the fighter is all the way down and they have stopped the fight.
                The reason is to make sure that there's no breathing obstruction.

Comment

I think they should have given him the chance to continue, but there have been much worse stoppages.

By the way, Lewis won that fight. He was up on the cards at the time of the stoppage and wanted to continue.

Comment

Working...
                  X