No announcement yet.

3 nightmare matchups of the past I think would of beat Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
    Hmmm. The only one I think would be favourite against Mayweather here is Ray Leonard - not on account of him being better more on account of his natural size advantage and his better power. Even so, Mayweather is a better boxer than even Leonard was and, contrary to what many thing, I think this would be a close fight. SD Leonard.

I'm not sure about the others, but I don't think any would be strong favourites against Mayweather. And wth is this about Pernell being better defensively lol that simply isn't true. Better reflexes Maybe but he didn't get hit any less than Mayweather did. I don't think Pernell is as good at close range either really.

Also, where the hell is Hearns? Hearns is basically the only boxer in history who I'd give Mayweather very little shot against (assuming competitive weights).

Yeah Hearns is for sure. In all fairness I did say add or subtract from. Lol. Along those lines I think a prime Vernon Forrest would of been a good matchup also

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
      Lmao!!!!

Who has Mayweather fought, what fights make it THIS^^^^ clear to you?

Kids say the darness things.
      guerrero, ortiz, baldomir etc...all the greats of this era

Comment

Originally posted by Almondsand View Post
        Pernell Whitaker was outboxed by a Mayweather in his teens (indicating that Mayweather boxing knowledge was at least on par with his at the age) as Mayweather mentioned in one interview.. Also Mayweather punching power at those weights were very good and he threw many combinations. UD to Mayweather

Roberto Duran will indefinitely be outboxed like he was in his second fight against Ray Leonard. He will become frustrated and quit mentally when he isn't able to hit the target which will allow Mayweather to counter effectively.. UD or Late TKO

Ray Leonard- If you watch the fight with Mayweather Senior, you will see Floyd father actually boxing Ray Leonard and being hard to hit thanks to the shoulder roll and philly shell defense he will later teach to his son. Based off seeing that I think Mayweather Jr will be able to be Leonard and Frustrate Leonard when he tries to do Flurries Floyd unlike his father will keep his cool and counter.

I really believe Floyd can hang with these guys and possible still go undefeated.. Floyd is supremely intelligent .. which works with his great skills
        I don't recall Mayweather ever being vocal about his sparring sessions with Pernell Whitaker, but it's interesting to note that, as much as he liked Frankie Randal, he wasn't afraid to say he out boxed him in sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by ab4life View Post
          There are 3 guys I firmly believe would have beaten Mayweather in some of the weightclasses he has touched. Feel free to add or subtract if you disagree

135- pernell Whitaker- reflexes just as fast if not faster than May's but better defensively as well as being more indept at fighting from close range. Great fight with pernell getting the Majority decision

140- Aaron Prior- really good power/ speed with great ability to absorb punishment along with a non stop hurricane fighting style. Would be a closer fight with Mayweather being forced to dig deep to a possible late stoppage loss (my opinion...don't hit me )

147- Sugar Ray Leonard- closer fight than many would think with Leanord coming out victorious. Leonard had great speed of hand and foot that was matched by his ring IQ along with knockout power. UD Leonard

154- Terry Norris- strangely this is the fight I'm most sure about partly do to 154 not being Mays ideal weight but also do to Norris's great skill and having recently marveled at his skill in his fight with Curry. Along with this I don't see May having the power to worry Norris. Win Terry Norris 9th round Tko
          I Floyd would Humiliate SRL and Arron Pryor. Floyd's footwork would have him pouncing all around the ring, and have him jumping all overt their asses like a cornered wild cat. Arron is their to be KO'd. SRL has no defense. He just uses speed advantage to overwhelm opponents, and uses footwork to keep them from landing. But Floyd's footwork, range, footspeed, and size disadvantage, would have him moving waaaay faster in all areas. Floyd's defense, timing, and counterpunching makes him waaaay to complete for SRL. SRL has some good head movement, but once Floyd starts landing right hands, SRL would start abandoning his gameplan, and start trudging around the ring, flatfooted like he's looking for a KO. SRL is a GREAT fighter, with a much better legacy than Floyd's. But skillwise, we have to remember this is a WHOLE nother era with more complete fighters. SRL is from the older times, and I really dont see him being anything special compared to Floyd and Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
            I Floyd would Humiliate SRL and Arron Pryor. Floyd's footwork would have him pouncing all around the ring, and have him jumping all overt their asses like a cornered wild cat. Arron is their to be KO'd. SRL has no defense. He just uses speed advantage to overwhelm opponents, and uses footwork to keep them from landing. But Floyd's footwork, range, footspeed, and size disadvantage, would have him moving waaaay faster in all areas. Floyd's defense, timing, and counterpunching makes him waaaay to complete for SRL. SRL has some good head movement, but once Floyd starts landing right hands, SRL would start abandoning his gameplan, and start trudging around the ring, flatfooted like he's looking for a KO. SRL is a GREAT fighter, with a much better legacy than Floyd's. But skillwise, we have to remember this is a WHOLE nother era with more complete fighters. SRL is from the older times, and I really dont see him being anything special compared to Floyd and Pac.
            Whoa now, are you being serious. I've seen SRL dig down deep to knockout Hearns. So to say Leonard will be frustrated by Junior is crazy talk.

Junior has problems with mental midget Judah, no way he'll be able to figure SRL out like he did Judah and if he did, SRL will just adjust mid fight. Floyd is a decent fighter but he doesn't have the grit to deal with a SRL.

Comment

[QUOTE=MurkaMan;13352089]I Floyd would Humiliate SRL and Arron Pryor. Floyd's footwork would have him pouncing all around the ring, and have him jumping all overt their asses like a cornered wild cat. Arron is their to be KO'd. SRL has no defense. He just uses speed advantage to overwhelm opponents, and uses footwork to keep them from landing. But Floyd's footwork, range, footspeed, and size disadvantage, would have him moving waaaay faster in all areas. Floyd's defense, timing, and counterpunching makes him waaaay to complete for SRL. SRL has some good head movement, but once Floyd starts landing right hands, SRL would start abandoning his gameplan, and start trudging around the ring, flatfooted like he's looking for a KO. SRL is a GREAT fighter, with a much better legacy than Floyd's. But skillwise, we have to remember this is a WHOLE nother era with more complete fighters. SRL is from the older times, and I really dont see him being anything special compared to Floyd and Pac.[/QUOTE

As the poster below your original post stated.. No way is a leanord who dug deep to knockout Hearns is getting frustrated by a Mayweather who struggled with Judah who is not a 5th of Hearns or leanord. I think you underrating a fighter who took on some greats. Those fights are tough based on the level of Sugars opposition

Comment

Pernell Whitaker was outboxed by a Mayweather in his teens (indicating that Mayweather boxing knowledge was at least on par with his at the age) as Mayweather mentioned in one interview.. Also Mayweather punching power at those weights were very good and he threw many combinations. UD to Mayweather

Roberto Duran will indefinitely be outboxed like he was in his second fight against Ray Leonard. He will become frustrated and quit mentally when he isn't able to hit the target which will allow Mayweather to counter effectively.. UD or Late TKO

Ray Leonard- If you watch the fight with Mayweather Senior, you will see Floyd father actually boxing Ray Leonard and being hard to hit thanks to the shoulder roll and philly shell defense he will later teach to his son. Based off seeing that I think Mayweather Jr will be able to be Leonard and Frustrate Leonard when he tries to do Flurries Floyd unlike his father will keep his cool and counter.

I really believe Floyd can hang with these guys and possible still go undefeated.. Floyd is supremely intelligent .. which works with his great skills
                That's one of the more clever arguments I've seen in favor of Floyd over Duran. Unfortunately it's a one dimensional argument and doesn't factor in Duran's side of the equation in the Leonard rematch. The only way Mayweather can avoid getting trounced by the Duran of the first Leonard match would be to never make the fight in the first place and we know that's Floyd's true P4P greatest skill; picking his battles.
                Last edited by A-Wolf; 05-10-2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

You lost me with youre Leonard breakdown. I think May could beat Pernell and Duran but those are best 50/50 for Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
                    I JUST WATCHED DURAN VS LEONARD

OMG
                    OMG

THEY BOTH BEAT FLOYD

fighters i would be sure beat floyd prime 4 prime

duran ko
                    pacquiao ko
                    hearns ko
                    leanord ud
                    sweet pea sd
                    kosta tszyu possibly ko
                    srr

i also think rigo would dec him but i dont think floyd was ever tht low in weight
                    HONESTLY thats all i got

floyd is THAT good
                    If you talking about the first fight, you need to update your knowledge by watching the rematch, and see how beautifully Leonard outbox Duran. In a toe to toe battle Duran will beat almost anyone, I do not see Mayweather employing that method to fight Hand of Stone. I will also dare say Mayweather has better inside game than Leonard, but Duran head movement and placement in close quarters is superb so I think Mayweather will just be happy to out box him which he should be able to do at ease. Pacquiao will not beat Mayweather at all, Pacquiao only have speed and power but no boxing skill on par with anyone on the list you put him on to beat Mayweather. Kostya Tzu? Please his boxing skill is good but he never mentioned Mayweather when Mayweather called him out, and for good reason. Hearns is the only person I see that can give him any trouble due to the extreme size difference in particular his long arms, I think his reach is much longer than Mayweather but I may be wrong. Mayweather boxing IQ can not be underestimated, I think he will have a gameplan for most of the guys you mentioned and will be able to out think them.. Hearns have a tendency to get in trance when he is being outpointed, as does Leonard which I think will help Mayweather do what he does best and out think his opponents. SSR is the only fighter I actually can not see Mayweather beating based on I think he will be undefeated without a lost ever if he was in this era and he was an innovator with legendary craft..
                    Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
                    Lmao!!!!

Who has Mayweather fought, what fights make it THIS^^^^ clear to you?

Kids say the darness things.
                    Based off his boxing IQ and skills he displayed, as well as he is pretty much impossible to guage as he doesn't approach all the same fights in the same manner. He much more versatile than any fighter that existed if you actually pay attention. Also a lot of people underrate his intangibles, such as his chin, IQ, stamina, will to win and withstand.. when he has shown he has those in supreme order.
                    Originally posted by ab4life View Post
                    You can't believe what's coming out of Mayweathers mouth pertaining sparring sessions as a teen against Pernell. Mayweather has stretched the truth on stuff in interviews in the past. Pernell I guarantee would say different as well as others. You know as well as me that a pro of that level sparring against an amateur is not going all out

In regards to Duran? He was an underrated boxer and twice the monster Castillo was at 135...was better in every category

Leonard fighting May senior wasn't really a hard fight for Leanord and he took his time and broke him down...correct me if I'm wrong but I believe senior also had more length than jr?
                    Yeah but Mayweather said " Out of respect.. I knew I could had outbox Pernell at the time but took it easy on him because he was one that paved the way for me". So yeah I give you that.. Pernell may had taken it easy but Mayweather said it as though Pernell wasn't the same or his skill was surpass that of Whitaker's.

We all know that in the first Castillo fight Mayweather left shoulder was pretty much useless, and he was fighting Castillo with one arm. So Castillo looking dominant in that fight was deaded by the absolute domination he got in the rematch. Duran is a great boxer much better than Castillo but Mayweather I believe will frustrate Duran easier than Leonard as his foot movement seems to be even slicker.
                    Originally posted by Ferrarijones View Post
                    I think when people do these matchups with Floyd they only consider physical attributes. Yeah Duran, Leonard, and Hearns are all beasts physically, but I think Mayweather's boxing IQ will help him make these matchups competitive. Out of all the fighters I see Leonard being the most competitive. Their personalities make for an interesting duel. Both are fast with Leonard having the edge in power. Floyd has the edge in defense. Good matchup. Hearns I'm not 100% about, but I'd say he'd give Mayweather a ton of problems with his range and power. Not sure how Floyd would overcome that. Duran would be all business, which can lead to frustration, especially since Floyd's so hard to hit clean. I don't see him being a real difficult fight at all for prime Floyd.
                    Thank you. Floyd Mayweather IQ will allow him along to compete with any of these guys. People also underrate his chin, will to win, and awareness.

Comment

I favor Floyd over any version of Duran. Your best bet is Thomas Hearns at 147. That's pretty much as bad a matchup for Floyd as it gets. He beats them all though. His ability to adjust to any style is one of a kind.

Comment

Working...
                      X