No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer Downs Myth of Haymon Boxers Not Colliding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    I believe you are right. Cameron Dunkin was the co-manager of both Kirkland and Angulo when they fought. But with Angulo I think he was listed in an advisory role.

Haymon is really the one who will have the problem. Most of his clients want the names. Alexander, Garcia, Thurman all want Mayweather. If they see that signing with him will prevent the possibility of getting "money" fights because the "money fighters" are also signed with Haymon, then Haymon will get dropped and they will find another manager.
    As long as Haymon still has the power he has over the networks, I think he'll just be fine with his stable. You're right with them wanting Mayweather, but of that group, how many are realistic options to land Mayweather? Garcia? Even then.

He might have to start matching them against each other to raise their profile to make them as attractive candidates for Mayweather, but again, HBO and Showtime still enable him enough to where he hasn't had to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovci View Post
      How can something be a myth when it has been true for so long... Lol at calling it a myth and then saying it's happening for the first time in Feb.
      To be fair, Haymon has very rarely had two fighters in the same weight division - other than Berto, Paul Williams and Mayweather at welterweight a few years ago, but Williams moved up and Berto-Mayweather was on the verge of being made before Ortiz crashed that plan. Now Haymon has an army of fighters from 140 to 154, among other weight divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
        As long as Haymon still has the power he has over the networks, I think he'll just be fine with his stable. You're right with them wanting Mayweather, but of that group, how many are realistic options to land Mayweather? Garcia? Even then.

He might have to start matching them against each other to raise their profile to make them as attractive candidates for Mayweather, but again, HBO and Showtime still enable him enough to where he hasn't had to do that.
        Thurman is already calling for Mayweather. Garcia wants Mayweather. Alexander too. Floyd is already pushing 36. Does Haymon want Mayweather to eventually get beat by a fighter in his own stable or someone he has now contract or power over?

Comment

Thurman is already calling for Mayweather. Garcia wants Mayweather. Alexander too. Floyd is already pushing 36. Does Haymon want Mayweather to eventually get beat by a fighter in his own stable or someone he has now contract or power over?
          In Haymon's best case scenario, yeah mostly likely. However, I don't think I'd favor any of those fighters over Floyd. Especially at 36, Mayweather will be looking for huge events and not any of those fighters will really do that. I could see Garcia becoming on that level of "intrigue" but it will take a while.

It's honestly hard to say who the best fighter Haymon has in his stable besides Mayweather. Austin Trout? No one has really separated themselves out in this log jam. It would be best to match them up, but again, will this become the norm or is this an anomaly?

Comment

all of Rick Reeno's articles are just shilling for Golden Boy and shouldn't be taken too seriously, just like The Ring's ranking

it's all apart of the Golden Boy public relations department

Comment

I believe you are right. Cameron Dunkin was the co-manager of both Kirkland and Angulo when they fought. But with Angulo I think he was listed in an advisory role.

Haymon is really the one who will have the problem. Most of his clients want the names. Alexander, Garcia, Thurman all want Mayweather. If they see that signing with him will prevent the possibility of getting "money" fights because the "money fighters" are also signed with Haymon, then Haymon will get dropped and they will find another manager.
              A fighter that would leave Al Haymon's advisory umbrella with the mindset of turning around to get a money fight with an Al Haymon high stake money fighter, would only be deluding himself, me thinks.

Besides, I thought that the allure has been that there are always plenty of other fighters outside of Al's stable and not named Mayweather, that Al can get his fighters to take on - at or around their respective levels - and still make good money?

I honestly think that Al has sort of perfected his business model to the extent that he won't be easily caught in a cul de sac.

Kind of reminds one of the mindset, much like, "Bob Arum does what Bob Arum does best."
              P34c3

Comment

To be fair, Haymon has very rarely had two fighters in the same weight division - other than Berto, Paul Williams and Mayweather at welterweight a few years ago, but Williams moved up and Berto-Mayweather was on the verge of being made before Ortiz crashed that plan. Now Haymon has an army of fighters from 140 to 154, among other weight divisions.
                Good post.

P34c3

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                  In Haymon's best case scenario, yeah mostly likely. However, I don't think I'd favor any of those fighters over Floyd. Especially at 36, Mayweather will be looking for huge events and not any of those fighters will really do that. I could see Garcia becoming on that level of "intrigue" but it will take a while.

It's honestly hard to say who the best fighter Haymon has in his stable besides Mayweather. Austin Trout? No one has really separated themselves out in this log jam. It would be best to match them up, but again, will this become the norm or is this an anomaly?
                  +1. Another good post.

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                    Peter Quillin? That's the great example, a dude whose system was so dirty GBP openly cancelled testing during the winky wright fight after the first two samples were taken because he came out dirty? G T FOH!! GBP makes Top Rank look like the most legit company on earth. Until Quillin does VADA and not USADA he's dirty in my book.
                    Quillin & Berto were the ones that got caught and Pete still got to fight. Don't expect his fighters to be working with VADA anytime soon. Al & GBP will continue to work with the USADA whom they can control by way of their contract. Would love to see Floyd set an example and work with VADA next year but not holding my breath after the Hauser article.

Comment

Two fighters advised by Haymon that I would love to watch fight each other in the near future is Garcia vs Broner. Broner talks a big game so why not? He has nothing else to prove at LW, I doubt Broner's in a rush to jump into one of the deepest divisions! Oh yea, Rios stops both fighters at 140!

Comment

Working...
                      X