Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You can't just vacate a lineal championship, can you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatories are never enforced, year after year it gets worse. Cotto works with arum who has a ton of of clout, they'll fight whoever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
      You refused to give Crawford credit when he beat the much smaller Gamboa. How much credit will you give Golovkin if he beats Cotto? GGG-Cotto would be a massacre in my opinion.
      Tbh, I'm just being an optimistic Cotto fan when it comes to him fighting GGG. He's too small for legit mw fighters but has to eventually fight him since he's the champion.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
        Mandatories are never enforced, year after year it gets worse. Cotto works with arum who has a ton of of clout, they'll fight whoever they want.

True, but somehow I get the feeling the WBC will really push for a Cotto vs GGG fight. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered bending their rules to allow Rubio and Golovkin to unify a world title with an interim title.

Comment

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
          True, but somehow I get the feeling the WBC will really push for a Cotto vs GGG fight. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered bending their rules to allow Rubio and Golovkin to unify a world title with an interim title.
          I hear ya on them bending the rules, but I almost feel they're doing it to make the Rubio fight more desirable. Who knows, boxing is such a bizarre business I have no clue what their motive is. I just can't see arum allowing cotto to take a bad beating. His career would be over if he took a pacquiao type beating, they're going t milk that belt as long as they can.

Comment

Bowe still held Lineage even after he dropped the WBC belt to avoid Lennox.

Comment

Originally posted by bopbopbbe View Post
              I guarantee you Cotto never fights a legit middleweight at 160. Hes gonna fight fight andy lee at a catchweight then fight canelo probably a catchweight. He will never fight a true 160 fight.
              What's your reason? I don't even think Cotto can reach a full 160, nor do I think he needs to be a full 160 to beat a legit 160lb'r like Rubio or GGG.

Comment

honestly the lineage at middleweight is a joke at this point. its not worth anything. just like when spinks, judah, baldomir, and floyd were playing ignore the margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
                  Tbh, I'm just being an optimistic Cotto fan when it comes to him fighting GGG. He's too small for legit mw fighters but has to eventually fight him since he's the champion.
                  Cotto should move down to 154. He's the current Middleweight champion but if he decides to fight at 154 from now on, he will eventually be stripped of his Ring belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
                    Please enlighten me.

Word is WBC is somehow making GGG vs Rubio some bullcrap unification fight (WBA world and WBC interim), and then making Cotto fight the winner, even though that would make the winner unranked by WBC.

At any rate, I imagine Cotto is vacating the WBC belt.

That would take some luster away from a potential Cotto vs Canelo fight (though obviously, it'd still happen, and it'd still sell like hotcakes).

On top of that, I'm sure Cotto is eying a Floyd rematch. Losing that belt would take away the only bait he had to lure Floyd in.

Even if he's stripped/vacates, those fights could still happen for the lineal championship, right? Didn't Martinez remain lineal champ even after they gave Chavez the WBC belt?
                    Don't bother caring about the "lineal championship". It's obsolete BS.

Comment

You sure can if you retire and move weight class and then number one And two contenders fight for the lineal title

Comment

Working...
                      X