No announcement yet.

Even Germany has more World Champions than the US now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rochemback View Post
    Sebastian Sylvester, Jürgen Brähmer, Sebastian Zbik and Felix Sturm were born in Germany. Sturm has Bosnian descent (no big deal, a lot of people in Germany have parents from former Yugoslavia, since they were fugitives during the horrible Balkan War).

Champions with German citizenship, who were not born in Germany:

Marco Huck - born in Serbia, Bosnian descent, in Germany since he was 11 years old, German citizenship since 2009

Robert Stieglitz - born in Russia, In Germany since he was around 18 years old, German citizenship since 2009

I don't have a problem with anyone coming to another country trying to make a better life for themselves and their family, I think it's great that those possibilities exist and I applaud them for taking them and succeeding.
    The issue that I have is the ridiculous name changing from their promoters to make them seem more "German". Felix Sturm was born as Adnan Ćatić, Marco Huck as Muamer Hukić and Robert Stieglitz as Sergei Stieglitz, for example. Artur Abrahams birth name is Awetik Abrahamjan (born in Armenia), by the way, but he is no champion at the moment.

Who else did I miss? Those are 6, I can't think of another German champion...
    The Klitschkos don't count, they live/lived in Germany and were with Universum for a long time, but they have Ukrainian citizenship.
    Sartisan, the Kazakhstan born dude who holds a version of the WBA SMW title that Ward has.

At least the others got a name that sounded similar to their own. where the **** did felix sturm come from? Is it a literal translation or something?

Comment

Originally posted by elgranluchadore View Post
      uh martinez has only fought once at middleweight, i guess pacquiao is the daddy of berto and mosley too
      the main point of this thread is how americans have diminished their presence in boxing in terms of champions
      there isnt any division where they have the best fighter right now, while last year they had campbell pavlik dawson all of them have lost their credibility and have been replaced as top dogs
      Pac isnt the WW king, Martinez is at MW.

But i thought the main point of the thread was to big up German boxers. Didnt realise it was a yank bashing thread.

Sorry about that.

Carry on!

Comment

Germany is a disgrace. Half of their so called world champs are not even German and the other half sucks and are overprotected.

Braehmer: Joke of a fighter who *****ed out of the fight against Shumenov, injury my ****in ass.

Sylvester: got a hometown decision against Karmazin, B-level fighter with an alphabet strap. So ****in what?

Huck: Hometown decision agaisnt Lebedev.

Abraham: Not a real German. Got exposed and schooled By Carl Froch as a one dimensional B-level fighter. Hasn't even won a round in his last two fights.

Sturm: Is fighting Ronald ****in Hearns next, hasn't fought a challenging fighter in years.

Sartison: Not a real German. Only reason he has a belt is because the WBA are ****in muppets, Andre Ward is the real champ.

Steiglitz: Ain't even German to begin with either, besides he is an alphabet titleist. He is irrelevant at 168.

America is BY FAR better than Germany in boxing. Out of all the high profile countries in boxing Germany is by FAR the worst.

And don't even start to compare hometown decisions between America and Germany. Germany is the home country of shady refs and bad decisions. Remember Sven Ottke vs Reid(I think)? Not only did Reid get robbed but he was also warned for punching Ottke with a perfectley legal punch. Germany = THE BIGGEST JOKE IN BOXING.

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
          Sartisan, the Kazakhstan born dude who holds a version of the WBA SMW title that Ward has.

At least the others got a name that sounded similar to their own. where the **** did felix sturm come from? Is it a literal translation or something?
          Ah yes, Sartison, saw his defense against Gevor. Ok boxer, but hardly a deserving champion, in my opinion.

Felix Sturm is a complete alias, has no connections to his birthname. He chose his first name because he likes its meaning (Felix = the lucky one) and the last name because of an early newspaper article about him (Sturm = storm in German, and the headline was something like "Catic went over his opponent like a storm")
          I know he defends his choice of an alias at every opportunity and says it helped him overcome racist chants in the earlier stages of his career, but I still think it's ridiculous and it looks like a sole marketing move...

Comment

Megamerican you've really got a hard on for Germany huh?

Deutschland über alles!

Comment

you know what else germany has a lot of?... nazis

Comment

America clearly has the better fighters,picking up an alphabet strap means very little these days

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Reyes View Post
                  you know what else germany has a lot of?... nazis
                  But does it still have more than the US? And are they overprotected?

Originally posted by 武士道 View Post
                  Deutschland über alles!
                  Not cool

Comment

Originally posted by Megamerican View Post
                    Germany is a disgrace. Half of their so called world champs are not even German and the other half sucks and are overprotected.

Braehmer: Joke of a fighter who *****ed out of the fight against Shumenov, injury my ****in ass.

Sylvester: got a hometown decision against Karmazin, B-level fighter with an alphabet strap. So ****in what?

Huck: Hometown decision agaisnt Lebedev.

Abraham: Not a real German. Got exposed and schooled By Carl Froch as a one dimensional B-level fighter. Hasn't even won a round in his last two fights.

Sturm: Is fighting Ronald ****in Hearns next, hasn't fought a challenging fighter in years.

Sartison: Not a real German. Only reason he has a belt is because the WBA are ****in muppets, Andre Ward is the real champ.

Steiglitz: Ain't even German to begin with either, besides he is an alphabet titleist. He is irrelevant at 168.

America is BY FAR better than Germany in boxing. Out of all the high profile countries in boxing Germany is by FAR the worst.

And don't even start to compare hometown decisions between America and Germany. Germany is the home country of shady refs and bad decisions. Remember Sven Ottke vs Reid(I think)? Not only did Reid get robbed but he was also warned for punching Ottke with a perfectley legal punch. Germany = THE BIGGEST JOKE IN BOXING.
                    otkke and reid was a decade ago get over it
                    the worst robberies in the past years happened in america
                    look at casamayor vs santacruz or soto vs lorenzo

Comment

Originally posted by rochemback View Post
                      Not cool
                      The oppening line is; Unity and Justice and Freedom.

What's wrong with that?

Comment

Working...
                      X