• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao is lucky he wasn’t facing Mayweather instead of Clottey

Pacquiao is lucky he wasn’t facing Mayweather instead of Clottey
    March 14th, 2010
    By Dave Lahr

Okay, I’ve seen the Pacquiao-Clottey fight, and I now think Pacquiao should consider himself the luckiest man on the face of the earth that he wasn’t facing Floyd Mayweather Jr. instead of Joshua Clottey last night at the Dallas Cowboy Stadium. Mayweather would have boxed the socks of Pacquiao and given headaches for ages. As it was, Clottey hit Pacquiao at will. Really, it was like Clottey couldn’t miss with his shots. Granted, it would have helped if Clottey had at least thrown a few more punches and shown an interest in actually winning the fight instead of just looking to survive.

But he landed some nice shots when he would remember throw punches. Pacquiao’s face looked badly marked up by the end of the fight, and I think he would have been sliced, diced and minced had it been Mayweather in the ring inside of the limited Clottey. I can see now why Clottey was “selected” as Pacquiao’s opponent rather than someone else like Mayweather or Mosley.

Clottey did his part of playing as a human punching bag, offering up little in the way of offense that would trip up the Pacquiao gravy train. I think now more than ever, Pacquiao won’t be put in with Mayweather. You can see how basic and beatable Pacquiao is after the Clottey fight.

No way will be put in with a sharp shooting talent like Mayweather. Yeah, we’re going to here all the same excuses about Pacquiao not wanting to take the Olympic style random blood tests, and that jive. But the bottom line is Pacquiao won’t be put in with a fighter like Mayweather. If Pacquiao is going to fight anyone, it will be Shane Mosley after Mosley gets dominated by Mayweather. Oh, it won’t look good for Pacquiao to be facing a Mayweather victim, but that’s I see it happening. It’ll be Mosley, maybe Miguel Cotto again or Yuri Foreman. It won’t Mayweather.

What I saw of Pacquiao last night against Clottey, I think even Mosley will wipe the deck with Pacquiao all night long. The problem for Manny is that the guy has no defense. He blocks nothing. He keeps his hands up like he’s going to block punches, but he doesn’t. The shots that Clottey was throwing sailed right through Pacquiao’s gloves as if Manny had an eye problem picking up the shots.

If Clottey can do that, as well as Cotto, Mosley will rip him apart. Mosley won’t stop throwing and will let his punches go unlike Clottey. Mayweather would literally top with the Pacquiao that fought on Saturday night. It wouldn’t even be interesting aside from looking it in clinical sort of way with the hype machine being dismantled. I don’t know what to say about Clottey. He had his chance and blew it.

If he had thrown 20 more punches per round, I think he could have beaten Pacquiao. I mean Clottey would have landed all 20 of those punches through the nonexistent defense of Pacquiao would have been enough to get the win.

I think Pacquiao needs to continue fighting the guys he’s been fighting, and stay away from the likes of Mayweather or Mosley. That’s my advice. I think Pacquiao can beat the Hatton, Cotto, De La Hoya and Clottey types, but it’s a whole different matter facing Mayweather and Mosley.

Mayweather's lucky he wasn't fighting Clottey - it would have been a whole different fight

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
      Mayweather's lucky he wasn't fighting Clottey - it would have been a whole different fight

Go figure?

Comment

boxing news 24 ftw

Comment

wow this is a very biased article, and pac did alot of blocking, i felt watching the fight that pac was chooseing to stand more still and fight as apposed to using his movement to befuddle clotty( check round 4 and perhaps another round late in the fight) and pac's punches did hurt clotty at times its not hard to see, clotty fought his regular fight but he was stunned a few times that is why he didnt want to risk anything with pac.. the pac in round 4 could give Floyd problems

Comment

shane has a better chance of beating packy than floyd.......floyd cant hurt packy for **** , i just dont see it!...

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
              shane has a better chance of beating packy than floyd.......floyd cant hurt packy for **** , i just dont see it!...
              That's because you're a delusional *******.

Comment

Are people really going to pretend Pac would fight just like that against Mayweather? Get your heads out of your asses.

Comment

Pac lays Floyd out on the canvas, only outcome

Comment

Floyd is lucky he only Fought The Great Baldomir in his 5 year stay at Welterweight.

Comment

Working...
                    X