The Ten Best Cities for African Americans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Best Cities for African Americans

The Ten Best Cities for African Americans

Black Enterprise (BE) revealed its most recent list of top cities for African Americans as featured in its May 2007 issue. Surveys were evaluated and the editors weighed the following criteria as it pertained to African Americans in each city: median household income, percentage of households earning more than $100,000, percentage of businesses owned, percentage of college graduates, unemployment rates, home loan rejections, and homeownership rates.
    On this year’s list, the No. 1 city for African Americans is Washington, D.C. The No. 2 pick, Atlanta, GA, continues to impress. The city is home to 64,000 black-owned businesses and continues to offer extensive entrepreneurial opportunities. No. 3, Raleigh-Durham, NC, boasted a 3.4% rise in job growth, the highest employment statistic among the cities ranked.

The full list of the 10 best cities for African Americans:

1.Washington D.C.
    2.Atlanta, GA
    3.Raleigh-Durham, NC
    4.Houston, TX
    5.Nashville, TN
    6.Dallas, TX
    7.Charlotte, NC
    8.Indianapolis, IN
    9.Columbus, OH;
    10.Jacksonville, FL.
    So, I’m happy to see two cities that I’ve lived in on the list, but I must ask, where is Chicago? Well, the surveys indicated that residents of urban hubs such as Chicago, L.A., and New York continue to be disenchanted with nagging social problems, including the high cost of living, rising crime rates, and substandard public schools. The survey and stats are a great start and factor for deciding what city you want to live in, but also keep in mind your own personal standards and preferences. Consider the features of different cities that fit your personality, lifestyle and interests, such as cultural offerings, recreational and educational pursuits, climate, cost of living, shopping and transportation. Try Bestplaces.net and Findyourspot.com, two websites that help you figure out what city is the best fit for you.

Do you guys agree?New York where are you?
Working...
X