No announcement yet.

How Skilled was James Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Skilled was James Toney?

I call him the "Modern Day Master", the man was so relaxed, so smooth and so skillful he is one of the few fighters that could compete and be successfull in any era. The true definition of a born fighter, the ***** talking, the bravado, the menacing demeanor and the unbelivable skill set makes for an ATG fighter that i was lucky enough to bare witness to while it was happening. And to do all that he did with a less than Spartan work ethic is nothing short of amazing.
    It boggeles the mind what he could of done with a similar dedication to training as an Holyfield or FMJ.

What are your thoughts on "the Modern Day Master"?

How skilled was James Toney?

Simply one of the most skilled fighter's I've ever seen.

Comment

He lacked a bit in the movement compartment IMO.

Take that away, and well... I have no words!

Let me tell you something. I once met Freddie Roach, and I asked him who is the best figher you ever trained and he said "James Toney". He didn't need to think (and before you ask, yes Manny Pacquiao was in the same of room).

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        How skilled was James Toney?

Simply one of the most skilled fighter's I've ever seen.
        Agreed. A true "throwback" from not only his skills, but his willingness to fight so often.

Comment

The fact he was a major titleholder as a fat **** at CW really conveys how skilled he was.

His performance against Barkley was masterful one of my favourite fights of his. His lead right hand is something special as is his head movement and off the rope fighting. A sure fire ATG in the skills department without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            The fact he was a major titleholder as a fat **** at CW really conveys how skilled he was.

His performance against Barkley was masterful one of my favourite fights of his. His lead right hand is something special as is his head movement and off the rope fighting. A sure fire ATG in the skills department without a doubt.
            The Barkley fight was CLASS, brah.

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
              I call him the "Modern Day Master", the man was so relaxed, so smooth and so skillful he is one of the few fighters that could compete and be successfull in any era. The true definition of a born fighter, the ***** talking, the bravado, the menacing demeanor and the unbelivable skill set makes for an ATG fighter that i was lucky enough to bare witness to while it was happening. And to do all that he did with a less than Spartan work ethic is nothing short of amazing.
              It boggeles the mind what he could of done with a similar dedication to training as an Holyfield or FMJ.

What are your thoughts on "the Modern Day Master"?

He sparred a ton, stamina wasnt an issue. He just ate bad and didnt do a lot of roadwork so he got fat

Comment

He was one of those fighters that was so skilled that commentators didn't even realize what the hell he was doing and would say he was losing the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                  He sparred a ton, stamina wasnt an issue. He just ate bad and didnt do a lot of roadwork so he got fat
                  i read somewhere that he said he sparred everyday in camp 6 days a week for 10 rounds no matter what else he did, best way to get good at fighting is to fight right?

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
                    i read somewhere that he said he sparred everyday in camp 6 days a week for 10 rounds no matter what else he did, best way to get good at fighting is to fight right?
                    That would not surprise me. I do not think I have seen any other fighter so at home in the ring. Not on modern tape.

Comment

Working...
                    X