Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins vs Toney 160-175lb on their best night.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
    I also loved his fight with prince charles williams. that was a classic performance
    Good call..

The quintessential toney fights to must watch are

nunn
    Reggie
    Mccallum 1,2
    Barkley
    Prince
    Jirov
    Holyfield
    Peter 1

Pretty much spans his career and shows toney at his best in each weight..

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
      this is how i see it, toney to me is better in every dept ...
      Not if discipline and conditioning are departments.

Comment

One thing to be aware of is that just because Toney is better it doesn't necessarily means he wins against Hopkins. For example, Lets take the first Judah Spinks fight. There is no doubt that Zab judah despite his problems his failure to live up to his potential....was always a superior fighter than the light hitting Corrie spinks, but it took him twp tries to beat Spinks because Spinks as a technician had the ability to cause Judah problems.

Hopkins is a master of winning fights. he ususally is talking to the ref, flurrying to steal rounds, hes not above a rough tactic or two, or three haha.

Toney is a purist and he wants to hurt you with his punches. Even when Toney masterfully beat Nunn another very talented fighter it took James a while to really get to Nunn and Nunn not exactly a thinker like Hopkins, had quite a bir of success against Toney until he put his lights out.

Toney is a natural and he doesn't make immediate adjustments of the sort Hopkins makes in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
          But Toney vs Hopkins at the same age is a tough fight for Hopkins because he only developed fully in defence toward the back end of his career.

Prime Toney vs Hopkins would probably insert a decade or more between the two. But Hopkins' workrate dropped in relation to his age. I'm not sure he'd be able to accrue enough points to win the majority of rounds. Remember, young Toney was busy and accurate. And he had stamina.

I suppose B-HOP could get lucky and KO Toney. But that would require more fairy stardust than he has any right to put faith in.

I aam assuming a composite best for both men. Your point makes sense in that a yonger Hopkins was not necessarily the best version of Bernard. but Hopkins when succesful cuts off the other guys punch stats. And Hopkins is better inside which is nullified by Toney's strength and ability to counter by presenting the shoulder as a target.
          Last edited by billeau2; 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            Who would have won. How do you see it unfolding?
            Lights out wins. Hopkins is so smart in the ring, but he holds way too much. Toney would have beaten him up inside too.

Comment

Working...
            X