Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Marquez enhance floyds legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLT View Post
    Again, the guy was going to 140 anyways. If he had took 1 fight at 140 and then fouhgt Floyd at 144 then you wouldnt be saying that. He wasnt going to stay at LW. He was moving up so really he wouldve just been 1 weight lower and fighting a guy who is by far, the smallest WW in boxing
    Just because he was moving up to 140 doesn't mean he was going to be a threat.

Comment

Originally posted by sandyvahra View Post
      He was going to 140, but the main reason why was pacman who has basically moved up at the same time as hime, whereas floyd has been at the 140 n up for years now. I think that would make floyd bigger, coupled with the advantages he already has I don't see how this fight changes his legacy drastically, especially to ATG top 20 as an above poster said.
      Yeah but thats what Ive been saying about Floyd for the longest. The only reason why he moved up was to chase Oscar. He never had to move up. When he was at LW, he came into the ring at 139 for everyone of his fights. He was a small LW. He was so small that I remember reading articles where writers were saying that they use to think Floyd could be a guy that would win alot of titles in different divisions but now he looks like a frail LW that would get hurt at 140. He only had 3 fights at LW. Then he goes to 140 where he comes into the ring at 144 pounds for all his fights. Again he only has 3 fights. Then he goes to WW where he comes into the ring at 148 pounds for every fight. He has 1 fight at 154 where he weighed in at only 150 pounds because it was a mandate by Oscar and was again only 148 on fight night.

He's not this big guy that everyone is making him out to be. He couldve stayed at LW forever or just now be finishing his career at 140 but he wanted to chase the Oscar fight. He's not big. Thats why he's a pot shot guy at WW because he's 148 and all of them are between 162-170 on fight night but no one seems to care about that. Its not even an exaggeration. Thats the actual stats of his weight

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
        Just because he was moving up to 140 doesn't mean he was going to be a threat.
        Oh, he wasnt? Why not? He just killed the best LW in the world and 140 doesnt exactly have monsters. Im a big Bradley fan but he looked far from impressive against Holt and Pac will probably soon be the king of the division. How has JMM done with Pac? Infact, the Kings of the division will probably soon be JMM, Pac, Campbell, and Kahn. All guys who have moved up and Valero may soon follow. JMM wont have as much trouble as you think and he looked pretty filled out at LW as he knocked out the top guy

Comment

Yeah but thats what Ive been saying about Floyd for the longest. The only reason why he moved up was to chase Oscar. He never had to move up. When he was at LW, he came into the ring at 139 for everyone of his fights. He was a small LW. He was so small that I remember reading articles where writers were saying that they use to think Floyd could be a guy that would win alot of titles in different divisions but now he looks like a frail LW that would get hurt at 140. He only had 3 fights at LW. Then he goes to 140 where he comes into the ring at 144 pounds for all his fights. Again he only has 3 fights. Then he goes to WW where he comes into the ring at 148 pounds for every fight. He has 1 fight at 154 where he weighed in at only 150 pounds because it was a mandate by Oscar and was again only 148 on fight night.

He's not this big guy that everyone is making him out to be. He couldve stayed at LW forever or just now be finishing his career at 140 but he wanted to chase the Oscar fight. He's not big. Thats why he's a pot shot guy at WW because he's 148 and all of them are between 162-170 on fight night but no one seems to care about that. Its not even an exaggeration. Thats the actual stats of his weight
          I'll give you that Floyd does stick right around his weight from weigh in to fight night. He doesn't lose much water weight to make the limits, phenomenal shape. The weight he has put on is pure muscle. His body is good for that. I don't think the weight Marquez puts on as he goes up will be the same quality as Floyds. I remember oscar looking very soft at his first fight at 160 n I think Marquez' additional weight will more resemble oscar's type than floyd's.

Comment

I'll give you that Floyd does stick right around his weight from weigh in to fight night. He doesn't lose much water weight to make the limits, phenomenal shape. The weight he has put on is pure muscle. His body is good for that. I don't think the weight Marquez puts on as he goes up will be the same quality as Floyds. I remember oscar looking very soft at his first fight at 160 n I think Marquez' additional weight will more resemble oscar's type than floyd's.
            but see, I look at it totally different. Ive always said that Floyd was P4P the best guy in boxing but he's also P4P the smallest guy in boxing. Alot of people say muscle but it just looks like that because he's frail. He just cant add weight. Go back and rewatch his fight with Baldy & Mitchell. He looks like a flat board. I remember HBO or something showing those fights one night and then the Malignaggi-N'Godgu fight came on and both those guys clearly looked bigger then Floyd and they were at 140. He's just not a big guy. Its not like when RJ added muscle or anything. Pac is all muscle, Floyd is just a frail dude

Comment

1. This is not a legacy fight for Floyd.

2. At least I think it's not.

3. I don't think Floyd see's this as a legacy-enhancing fight.

4. Although JMM is prob just a tune-up, he still has a good chance to outbox Floyd at any weight.

5. If JMM would have never called Floyd out, this fight wouldn't have happened.

Comment

but see, I look at it totally different. Ive always said that Floyd was P4P the best guy in boxing but he's also P4P the smallest guy in boxing. Alot of people say muscle but it just looks like that because he's frail. He just cant add weight. Go back and rewatch his fight with Baldy & Mitchell. He looks like a flat board. I remember HBO or something showing those fights one night and then the Malignaggi-N'Godgu fight came on and both those guys clearly looked bigger then Floyd and they were at 140. He's just not a big guy. Its not like when RJ added muscle or anything. Pac is all muscle, Floyd is just a frail dude
                You're right, floyd's body doesn't look as big as other fighters' bodies as they move up. Which is good for floyd since he'll keep his speed. I think having that frail type of body/genetics works to his advantage tremendously in this fight. Marquez doesn't have the same body type and he'll likely be slower. But in essence heck if floyd can make 140 which im sure he can, why not fight him there so nobody would complain about fighting the jr. lightweight? IMHO i feel 4 lbs at 140 and nobody can use the weight. You got a chance to dismiss the critics that will be on the weight issue, and still look spectacular on road to victory.

Comment

You're right, floyd's body doesn't look as big as other fighters' bodies as they move up. Which is good for floyd since he'll keep his speed. I think having that frail type of body/genetics works to his advantage tremendously in this fight. Marquez doesn't have the same body type and he'll likely be slower. But in essence heck if floyd can make 140 which im sure he can, why not fight him there so nobody would complain about fighting the jr. lightweight? IMHO i feel 4 lbs at 140 and nobody can use the weight. You got a chance to dismiss the critics that will be on the weight issue, and still look spectacular on road to victory.
                  I think there is 1 simple reason for it. He's going to fight the WW's. I think he wants JMM, then Pac, and then he's going to WW. I think he feels that he'll never be close to a real WW but he's at the best level he ever will be in terms of being a WW. Now if he goes down and then comes back then he may be weighing in at 148 still at fight night and guys like Cotto & Mosley will feel like a shock to his system after moving down to fight a JMM. I think if there were nothing but bums at WW and he wasnt going to fight there again then he would come down but thats not the case. He has to go back and he wants to stay as close to that level as possible because thats the only way he can win. Youre right when you said thats good for Floyd in this fight but in his WW fights his frail body kills him and thats why he's hesitant to fight those guys. He's already giving up 15-22 pounds in the ring and it seems like naturaly its even bigger then that.

Me personaly, I think if he fights a Mosley or Cotto right now then he would win if he's not too rusty but if he goes down to 140 and then comes back up to fight Mosley or Cotto then I could see him getting pushed around and losing. Thats what I think he fears. I think alot of people feel that he's just going to fight a JMM or a JMM & Pac and thats it but I dont. I think he just wants them 2 first because it makes sense and then he's going to finish it off at WW, espicaly against Mosley. I think he really feels like he can beat him even at Mosley's best. Seriously though, I think most fans are just looking at it like 1 fight and he should meet JMM half way but I think Floyd is looking at the big picture and he doesnt want to hurt himself for the future just to be cool now

Comment

I reckon it's very risky fight for Floyd no matter what the weight, Floyd wins everyone says meh, he was supposed to, Floyd loses and he's going to be humiliated and ridiculed big time by the public. I don't see it being about money either because he could pull big numbers fighting almost anyone.

I say it adds a name to his resume but a W is expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatwhitehope View Post
                      I reckon it's very risky fight for Floyd no matter what the weight, Floyd wins everyone says meh, he was supposed to, Floyd loses and he's going to be humiliated and ridiculed big time by the public. I don't see it being about money either because he could pull big numbers fighting almost anyone.

I say it adds a name to his resume but a W is expected.
                      The other thing I think it does is paint Pac and more specificaly, Arum into a corner. It does the same to Hatton. I think Floyd was getting the sense that JMM was going to be next for both of those guys but if he beats JMM then they basicaly have to fight him. Any other guy they fight will probably be close to as dangerous as Floyd and you will have to fight for much less money then a Mayweather fight

Comment

Working...
                      X