Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tito's handwraps.. how much does it hurt his legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
    Well, according to Richardson. The Margarito and Tito incidents were totally different, in the Tito fight they way he wrapped his hands was legal in some places in the US and PR etc. just not legal in NY.

Margarito had attempted to use a plaster gauze, which made his wraps harden.

Heres proof from a Ring interview, It doesn't damage Tito at all

NR: To me, Trinidad's situation was much, much different than Margarito's. What Trinidad did was actually legal in some places. It just wasn't legal in New York. I had the rulebook with me right there in my hand.
    The Ring: What happened in Trinidad's locker room? NR: When I came into the room, I think it was his left hand that was already wrapped. I asked for the bylaws about hand wraps before the fight. I didn't see the hand get wrapped. Someone from Hopkins' camp had to be there to witness the hands being wrapped. I spoke to a commissioner about it. he said that he was there to watch his hand get wrapped. Then I asked him, "Do you work for the Hopkins camp??" I think I asked him twice. He said, no, so I told the commissioner I wanted to see Trinidad get his hands wrapped again - both of them.

Before you know it, Papa Trinidad flipped out and went off, and people in the room started threatening me (laughs). They said I was scared. I told them I don't have to fight Trinidad tonight, what do I have to be scared about (laughs)? They were telling me Bernard was going to get knocked out. I didn't want to budge from what I knew was right. If something happened to Bernard, and something came out later about Trinidad's hand wraps, I would have blamed myself. It would have been because I didn't do my job.
    It still gave him a cheap advantage (power) over an opponent. He tried to use it in New York, where it was illegal, therefore it's considered trying to cheat.

And nice job covering up the situation by only posting a small part of the article. Here's the other part that describes it better:

The Ring: What did you see?

NR. I noticed that Papa was layering too much tape and gauze on Tito's hand, and that wasn't allowed. It was amazing. The commision was there, watching and no one said anything. Papa Trinidad said that every time they fought at MSG, that's the way he wrapped his hands. I told him, "Not against my guy."

The athletic commision told him the proper way to wrap the hand and he wrapped it the right way. Watching another fighter get his hands wrapped, which would normally take 10, maybe 15 minutes, took an hour to get resolved. I wasn't budging from my stands. That's because I was right, backed by fact. I had to say something. There were no doubts whatsoever. There's nothing I would change from that night. I can smile, because I like being in position to protect my guy. The rest is history.

Think about this: No one before or since stopped William Joppy the way Trinidad did to him. I don't know and I can't say if Trinidad wrapped his hands a certain way or not in any of his previous fights. All I can say is what I saw that night with Bernard. I watched Bernard beat Joppy to death, but no one put him down like Trinidad did. That's all I can say.

Comment

none whatsoever for this fight fan

Comment

Working...
      X