Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Motivated To Impress, Secure Big Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Motivated To Impress, Secure Big Fights

By Thomas Gerbasi - A stranger in a foreign country, fighting in the world’s greatest arena. An icon on the verge of stardom. A champion in the eyes of the world, but not particular sanctioning bodies.

Sounds like the story of middleweight champion Sergio Martinez as he heads into Saturday night’s title fight against Matthew Macklin. And it is. But he’s not the first man from his homeland of Argentina to live it. Nearly 37 years ago, it was middleweight great Carlos Monzon doing the same thing in Madison Square Garden, making his debut in the Mecca of boxing against Tony Licata on June 30, 1975.

At the time, anyone who knew anything about boxing knew that Monzon was the king of the 160-pound weight class. Well, everyone except the WBC, which stripped the Argentinean of his crown, leaving Colombia’s Rodrigo Valdez and Philadelphia’s Bennie Briscoe to battle for the vacant title in 1974.

Valdez stopped “Bad Bennie” in seven rounds, and Monzon went about his business, knocking out Tony Mundine before making his lone United States appearance against Licata. He would stop his game foe in the tenth round, and eventually take care of matters with Valdez with two hard-fought 15 round decisions that capped his career.

A month after the second win over Valdez in July of 1997, Monzon retired at the age of 35, leaving a fistic legacy few could hope to match. [Click Here To Read More]

Well if he's looking to secure any top rank fighters, looking good is the last thing he should do.

Comment

.....secure big fights by looking impressive?

what

Comment

Another great read by Gerbasi !! Thanks !!

The two so called Pound 4 Pound fighters , Pacman and Mayweather JR at the pinnacle of their careers where they MUST PROVE they are the P4P leaders in boxing cause this dude Martinez is not waiting around.

JR is plenty big enough to challenge for the middleweight crown, where Pac is not but if he did, then first in the fall if he KO's Bradley in Hatton fashion or there about he needs to KO Mayweather JR then for the last HURRAH take on Martinez for an unprecedented fight that defies HISTORY !! IF Pac wins that fight I would put him up there in the top 5 fighters in the history of boxing.

Jr will slide by as usual so he needs this Pac fight , he needs to get over his fears, He needs to :

stop the demand of OST - is he being tested during off season ?????????? I have never read where he was so whats the hoopla mangs ??????

go back to the 50 50 split and stop the nonsense

Jr needs to get in the ring and KO PACMAN, not slide by, beat him down then KO the little guy,,

then

Jr needs to get into the ring this time next year with Martinez at 160.

Jr is one weight class bigger than Pac ,,,EASY !!!!!

so JR needs to KO Martinez in great fashion of which I haven't ever seen him do in the past 8 years of any elite,,,hmmmmmmm not to digress but I can't think of a prime elite he has KO'd period ,,,,,, then he needs to go whup the mang in the 168,,,KO him and he might redeem himself.

Martinez needs to KO Macklin , then KO Chavez JR and then KO either or both Pacman and JR weather and he will be :

POUND 4 POUND

Comment

Sergio Martinez Motivated To Impress, Secure Big Fights
          Uhhh you're like 40 years old. It's about time.

Comment

So Monzon retired in 1997. Now that is impressive. To carry on fighting two years after he'd been killed in a car crash! . . . . WOW. . . . . . I knew he was good but that really is quite some achievement. I'm impressed.

Can anybody answer a question for me?

Do the writers who contribute articles to this website get paid for their submissions? In other words, are they actual writers or are they just fans of the sport who do this in their spare time?

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
              Your boy Chavez Jr is going to get stripped and you'll be crying lol
              Martinez by KO!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Roa View Post
                Your boy Chavez Jr is going to get stripped and you'll be crying lol
                Martinez by KO!
                Haha It doesn't matter, at the end of the day Martinez will not get the Chavez, Pacquiao or Mayweather payday.

And Oscar will not let him challenge Canelo

So YES!!! HE WILL HAVE TO GET HIS BIG FIGHTS AT SMW OR FIGHT PIROG IN RUSSIA LOL!

Comment

I think Macklin wins this one 1 mill points on macklin to win anyone fancy that one give me a mssg please.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                    Did Chavez take his diuretics today like a good little cheater?

Comment

Working...
                    X