No announcement yet.

But Cotto lives too far away?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
    It's funny how all of your article proclaiming Cotto's alleged 'desire' for the fight start after Mayweather had 'retired' post Hatton.

Cotto won his major belt at 140 almost a full year (Sept '04) before Mayweather won his in the division (June '05 against Gatti). You could have had your fight when both were champions at 140 and there were no promotional issues to interfere (both under Top Rank and on HBO).

Here's Todd DuBoef post the Gatti beatdown (LINK):

Again, Top Rank didn't want to make the fight at that time, choosing to wait. And Cotto put his faith in Top Rank to tell him 'when the time is right'. They blew it.
    Wrong. There was one article that was around the time that Floyd fought Oscar and Cotto fought Zab Judah.

Floyd said that he was not interested. Ellerbe said the same. Floyd and his team used several excuses. Cotto said he was patiently waiting for Floyd. Its all there. It counters what you said in your post.

Secondly, you didn't bring up the reason why the fight was not made before then (that is, right after Gatti fight). Cotto was still maturing and required some more time to be ready to fight someone like Floyd. And no, it wasn't because of the myth that Cotto saw the Gatti fight.

See below. Arum explains and says that the fight will happen and it will be a major, major fight.

"Cotto looked brilliant in his fight a few weeks ago. He has tremendous skills. He is really the goods.

"If there is anybody that is capable of beating Floyd at 140 or 147 its Cotto. I don't think it can happen tommorow(meaning Cotto being ready to beat Floyd).
    We are not going to do it now maybe a year or year and a half ago. That is going to be a major, major fight."

"One thing you need to do with a young fighter is making Cotto fight often or else their skills erode if too much time between fights."

3:00 min mark

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED***8482;
      When a human being is coming off two knee surgeries at 39 years old... it's not an excuse that he is not at his best.

Then when the fight happens, and he can't stay off the canvas to save his life because his legs keep giving out... it's not from the thunderous power that Cotto magically has at middleweight now.

It's because he's fighting a 39 year old person coming off two knee surgeries.

Im speaking factually here.
      This is a bit disengenuous. Certainly Sergio was not at his best. No rationale arguement can be made against that. But u can't say was unable to stay off campus becuase if his knees. Sergio himself said he was caught with a great shot in which he didn't recover from. Further, in the first round each trip to the canvas was predicated with a cotto shot. Sergio just didn't hit the canvas because his knees gave out. Moreover, his knees where just find for the next 8 rounds until cotto caught his with another big shot. Sergio managed to "save his life" after the first round for another 7-8 rounds, after I presumed him dead after the first. So his knees weren't crippled. Not prime condition but certainly not gimped.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
        I guess all those "Sergio at 50% would still KO Cotto" predictions didn't know about the knee? I mean wouldn't Sergio on 50% be missing a leg completely?

**** me lol!!!!! Everyone knew he had 2 surgeries on his knee's prior and had the privilege of watching the Murray fight. You still got it wrong lol.
        Word

This site was litter with "I don't matter doe a 50% martinez smashes cotto"

Someone should revive the cotto martinez thread just so I can say in my Roy jones voice

Yall musta forgot!

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
          Floyd Mayweather JR on Cotto (140 lbs):

“Cotto needs a couple more tune-ups. Right now he’s a little too green,” Mayweather said.
          Was he not Green? After the Gatti fight you had Max saying "Miguel Cotto will get torn up by Floyd Mayweather jr", saying Hatton was the more interesting fight. 147 thats a different story.

Comment

• Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
            Wrong. There was one article that was around the time that Floyd fought Oscar and Cotto fought Zab Judah.

Floyd said that he was not interested. Ellerbe said the same. Floyd and his team used several excuses. Cotto said he was patiently waiting for Floyd. Its all there. It counters what you said in your post.
            Oh, you mean an article dated around the time that Mayweather had bought his way out of his Top Rank contract with no intentions of putting money in Arum's pocket? Around then?

Again, if Cotto wanted it, he should have opened his mouth BEFORE Mayweather left. Period.

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
            Secondly, you didn't bring up the reason why the fight was not made before then (that is, right after Gatti fight). Cotto was still maturing and required some more time to be ready to fight someone like Floyd. And no, it wasn't because of the myth that Cotto saw the Gatti fight.
            Cotto had a legit belt and had been fighting at that weight exclusively for his entire career. #noexcuses.

The Mayweather of today (major financial attraction and unquestioned #1P4P fighter) is not the one Cotto wasn't 'ready' for. The PBF Cotto would have fought then was a tremendous talent and P4P fighter who was moving up in weight and still trying to establish himself as a box office attraction. He was basically a better version of Terrance Crawford/Mikey Garcia at the time of his career progression. There's ZERO guarantee that Cotto is ever 'ready' for such a fight.

You Anti-Floyd folks kill me. Mayweather may be the only fighter I've ever seen get chastised for not fighting 'B-Side' guys who have LESS leverage than he has when THEY declare themselves 'ready' (Vlad Klitschko probably the closest to being able to make a similar claim).
            • Cotto, 140 beltholder at a time when Mayweather had only been at the weight for less than 4 months, can turn down a fight until he's 'ready, and fans get mad that Mayweather won't come out of retirement to fight him 2 years later
            • 140 lineal champ and beltholder Hatton and his dad can declare they're 'not ready' after the Gatti demolition, but then fans are mad the Mayweather won't move BACK down to 140 after being at 154 when Hatton starts chirping Floyd's name
            • Moseley can publically duck a Mayweather fight because of 'vacations' and dental work, but fans put a battery in his back when he jumps in the ring post Marquez fight 'demanding' Mayweather give the fans what they want'

It just goes on and on...... Isht is hilarious.

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
            See below. Arum explains and says that the fight will happen and it will be a major, major fight.
            Yeah, and then this happened (link):

The reason Mayweather opted for the buyout rather than waiting for the May 6 result was because the contract had a limited window for the buyout, one that expired before the De La Hoya fight. However, Arum said he would have extended the window if Mayweather had asked. What Arum wouldn't do, he said, was raise the guarantees for other fights outlined in the contract.

Arum said while Mayweather would have taken the $8 million to fight Margarito, he asked for a $10 million guarantee to fight opponents such as Miguel Cotto and Ricky Hatton, when Arum was only willing to guarantee $7 million.

Arum said Mayweather also asked for $20 million to fight De La Hoya, a fight Arum said he wasn't interested in participating in.

"That's not in the cards," Arum said. "He wants $20 million for the De La Hoya fight? It's not there. Sometimes, my man, you gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. We'll talk about things down the road."
            Way to go, Top Rank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
              Oh, you mean an article dated around the time that Mayweather had bought his way out of his Top Rank contract with no intentions of putting money in Arum's pocket? Around then?

Again, if Cotto wanted it, he should have opened his mouth BEFORE Mayweather left. Period.

Cotto had a legit belt and had been fighting at that weight exclusively for his entire career. #noexcuses.

The Mayweather of today (major financial attraction and unquestioned #1P4P fighter) is not the one Cotto wasn't 'ready' for. The PBF Cotto would have fought then was a tremendous talent and P4P fighter who was moving up in weight and still trying to establish himself as a box office attraction. He was basically a better version of Terrance Crawford/Mikey Garcia at the time of his career progression. There's ZERO guarantee that Cotto is ever 'ready' for such a fight.

You Anti-Floyd folks kill me. Mayweather may be the only fighter I've ever seen get chastised for not fighting 'B-Side' guys who have LESS leverage than he has when THEY declare themselves 'ready' (Vlad Klitschko probably the closest to being able to make a similar claim).
              • Cotto, 140 beltholder at a time when Mayweather had only been at the weight for less than 4 months, can turn down a fight until he's 'ready, and fans get mad that Mayweather won't come out of retirement to fight him 2 years later
              • 140 lineal champ and beltholder Hatton and his dad can declare they're 'not ready' after the Gatti demolition, but then fans are mad the Mayweather won't move BACK down to 140 after being at 154 when Hatton starts chirping Floyd's name
              • Moseley can publically duck a Mayweather fight because of 'vacations' and dental work, but fans put a battery in his back when he jumps in the ring post Marquez fight 'demanding' Mayweather give the fans what they want'

It just goes on and on...... Isht is hilarious.

Yeah, and then this happened (link):

Way to go, Top Rank.
              Man are you for real? All you are doing is backtacking.

1) You said it wasn't about Floyd not being interested it was that Cotto didn't pursue the fight.
              Response: Proved you wrong. Showed you numerous articles and interviews.

2) You changed it up because you read my links and then said "but the articles were of when Floyd was retired.
              Response: Proved you wrong.Some articles were when Floyd was still fighting.

3) You changed it up AGAIN because I corrected your previous mistake. You said "Floyd left Arum excuse."

Look bud, no need to change it up 3 different times. Floyd and his team had no interest in Cotto and Cotto did. That is all we need to know.I showed you the links. They made excuses after excuses.

I believe it was the first link. read it again. Floyd's excuse was "Floyd does not feel the fight makes financial sense at the moment. I'm not going to disrespect Cotto. he is one of us. He is part of the family, the HBO family."
              Ellerbe said that too earlier that year.

4) You then bring up an article where Floyd had demands for several fighters.
              Sorry but that would put Arum in a bind especially if Floyd loses to Margarito. Think about it for a second. All the stars needed to align to get Floyd in the ring with Margarito. Why?
              Taking Floyd's own words where most Floyd fans agreed. When Canelo said that he wanted an agreement, Floyd said take care of your business with Trout then we can talk. Imagine if Canelo loses? And he wants a guarantee? Floyd's words not mine.

That article just hurts Floyd more than anything. It proved that he had no interest in fighting Margarito. If he did, it would have happened. Margarito and Cotto are TR fighters and Floyd fans always say that Arum makes them stable fighters fight each other. Top Rank had Margarito waiting that whole year for Floyd until Floyd signed to fight no name, nobody cares Baldomir. Was it for more money? NO!!! It was certainly less when taking penalties into account.

BTW - Arum was not saying no fight. He said in a year, year and a half. At the 1 year mark, well, that brings you to when Floyd and Ellerbe then kept on saying, not interested in Margarito , Cotto, then Mosley. P. Williams, Sergio Martinez, and wanted no part of 2009/2010 version of Manny

Last edited by ADP02; 07-07-2015, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X