Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josenoway View Post
    No reason for a cw.
    154 is perfect for this fight.
    When your a MW forced by contract to 154 its a CW .

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      This post is bizarre. Since when has Floyd weightdrained any fighter?

You just described something Manny Pacquiao wanted Martinez to do, but said it's Floyd who would do it, when there is no past evidence that he would weight drain a fighter.
      same here, I can't understand this forum at times

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
        dibella said this right after martinez/macklin happened, i think. stop posting old news stories karceno.
        The important thing is that Dibella said it for and on behalf of Martinez, and he's always had the authority to do so.

So, the message in the video remains the official position - and therefore remains true - unless and until Dibella/Martinez recants or says otherwise. So the date the recording was made is irrelevant at this point.

In any case, what has changed since Dibella said and proposed it just months ago?

Moreover, some might have missed the video earlier, and possibly blamed the wrong party for the catchweight offer. For me, I always knew about this proposal by Dibella, but had not been able to locate the video, therefore, the YouTube link by the OP is gold.

P34c3

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          Manny gets retired in a fight against Sergio, you could offer to fight for free and Manny still would want you to come in at 147.
          There...fixed it for ya.

P34c3

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            Another Chad Dawson.. Meh boring and drained.
            Exactly. How many more fights is it going to take for managers etc to realise that a fighter cannot go back down to a division he's well and truly grown out of and hasn't made the weight for in many years, especially when they are much older and in the twilight of their career. We see it time and time and time again and they never come out on the upside.

Just like Dawson, Oscar, Morales etc, Martinez would be dead if he really tried to get to 150. I actually don't think he could make it, even if he desperately tried now.

How ****ing thick would DiBella have to be to try this? He would be, quite literally, ruining his fighters career and the last future prospects that he might have left. Of all the possibilities for Sergio, this is the single worst move he could make for Martinez. Career suicide.

Martinez hasn't made 150 in ten years. He was 27/28 the last time he made that weight, and he's now 37 years old. He hasn't even made 154 in 4 years now too and now fights, in his late thirties, as a solid middleweight.
            He was fighting between 147 and 154 when he first started as a prospect, 15 years ago. It's just not possible to do it, at his age and size, without severe repercussions.

I do realise this is likely just BS posturing from DiBella, but what a dick! "Hey everyone, I'm willing to throw my fighter to the wolves for my quick buck! Ain't I just dandy?"

Comment

Originally posted by jpcsr61 View Post
              Floyd weight division is 147lbs, if I was advising Floyd I'd tell him " if they want to fight then make 147 or go straight to hell". All these guys want is a huge payday off a guy that has proven unbeatable at 147, ; so why go up in weight when you're not the one needing the cash? These guys and their supporters kill me crying because they want another fighter to come up to their guys comfortable weight. I like Sergio but if he wants a larger check than bring his ass down to the proper weight of go beat up Jr again......

Errrrrr, maybe because he is the 154 pound champion....

Christ...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                Exactly. How many more fights is it going to take for managers etc to realise that a fighter cannot go back down to a division he's well and truly grown out of and hasn't made the weight for in many years, especially when they are much older and in the twilight of their career. We see it time and time and time again and they never come out on the upside.

Just like Dawson, Oscar, Morales etc, Martinez would be dead if he really tried to get to 150. I actually don't think he could make it, even if he desperately tried now.

How ****ing thick would DiBella have to be to try this? He would be, quite literally, ruining his fighters career and the last future prospects that he might have left. Of all the possibilities for Sergio, this is the single worst move he could make for Martinez. Career suicide.

Martinez hasn't made 150 in ten years. He was 27/28 the last time he made that weight, and he's now 37 years old. He hasn't even made 154 in 4 years now too and now fights, in his late thirties, as a solid middleweight.
                He was fighting between 147 and 154 when he first started as a prospect, 15 years ago. It's just not possible to do it, at his age and size, without severe repercussions.

I do realise this is likely just BS posturing from DiBella, but what a dick! "Hey everyone, I'm willing to throw my fighter to the wolves for my quick buck! Ain't I just dandy?"
                He and Martinez have been trying to cash out against Mayweather, and Pacquiao briefly, for years. It's all about that paycheck. That's fine, but don't expect anything from Sergio if it happened at 154, let alone 150.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

Errrrrr, maybe because he is the 154 pound champion....

Christ...
                  So was Manny Pacquiao. Did that make 154lbs his division? Just wondering......

Comment

Originally posted by Level View Post
                    Why not sign a contract instead of talk about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                      When your a MW forced by contract to 154 its a CW .
                      If you weigh in at no more than 154 AND you're fighting for a 154 cause - be it laurel, title, exhibition, bragging rights, or whatever - it is NOT a CW by any stretch of the imagination. It is the weigh-in scale that says which weight class you belong in, nothing more, nothing less. No one cares what you do or do not do to your body outside of that, period.

P34c3

Comment

Working...
                      X