No announcement yet.

Memorial statue for Joe Frazier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial statue for Joe Frazier

I don't know where to start, or if I'm even using the right phrases. (My dictionary ain't with me today, and yes I'm a European guy).

We all know about the Philly heart, and man did Frazier poses one. Frazier should've been hounered with a statue, when he were alive. But creating one now, would be better than never.
    Joe Frazier is one of the greatest athletes to ever come out of Philidelphia, and should be honored as one.

I'll leave the rest up to discussion, but the only way to get started on this subject, is to start talking about it. The link just under this text, is taking a look at the subject. If Rocky Balboa has one, so should Joe Frazier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TulQK9dtwo0

Yeah its ridiculous it hasnt happened yet. Right next to Rocky since Smokin Joe is the real ****in warrior.

If Bernard Hopkins and Mike Jones wanted more philly fans to get them behind them they should be the leaders of this movemant. Be huge for Mike Jones to be relevant in the boxing would help that. And would help Hopkins become an even bigger philly legend. Arteria that last fights Hopkins should do a fundraising charity fight. All profit goes to the statue

Comment

Philadelphia as a boxing town has taken some losses in recent times. Briscoe, Benton, now Frazier. Harold Johnson is still hanging in there. I think every boxing fan would love to see Frazier honoured with a statue. The greats are quietly passing away, it would be nice to see them remembered.

Comment

Frazier and not Stallone should have had that statue. In a way I feel that making a statue of a fictional character partly based on Joe Frazier (the meathouse and the stairs) was a slap in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
          Yeah its ridiculous it hasnt happened yet. Right next to Rocky since Smokin Joe is the real ****in warrior.

If Bernard Hopkins and Mike Jones wanted more philly fans to get them behind them they should be the leaders of this movemant. Be huge for Mike Jones to be relevant in the boxing would help that. And would help Hopkins become an even bigger philly legend. Arteria that last fights Hopkins should do a fundraising charity fight. All profit goes to the statue
          Hopkins has said if the city finds a place for it, he'll pay for the statue.

EDIT: This has been his line for a few years now. It isn't a recent thing.
          Last edited by Capaedia; 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Louis was honored with several in Detroit, Marciano got one in Brockton, Dempsey got one, so why not Frazier? He deserves it more than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by GoogleMe View Post
              I don't know where to start, or if I'm even using the right phrases. (My dictionary ain't with me today, and yes I'm a European guy).

We all know about the Philly heart, and man did Frazier poses one. Frazier should've been hounered with a statue, when he were alive. But creating one now, would be better than never.
              Joe Frazier is one of the greatest athletes to ever come out of Philidelphia, and should be honored as one.

I'll leave the rest up to discussion, but the only way to get started on this subject, is to start talking about it. The link just under this text, is taking a look at the subject. If Rocky Balboa has one, so should Joe Frazier.

He definitely deserves a statue and it should have been done already. It would have been better if they honored him while he was living. I've felt this way about this subject for a long time

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                He definitely deserves a statue and it should have been done already. It would have been better if they honored him while he was living. I've felt this way about this subject for a long time
                I agree it would have meant so much more if he could've seen it.
                Frazier's legacy is in his fights which will entertain people forever on youtube or whatever a cold statue could never do him justice.

Comment

Don't know how they could possibly have a stallone statue up and not a Frazier one. i mean now hopkins and everyone in philly should push to have one. It's only just.

Comment

Well, the statue was made for Rocky 3, and paid for by the movie and not the city. The statue was removed from the Art Museum's steps because it was a movie prop and not art. They then moved it to the Spectrum, then back to the grass by the museum.

So in the city's defense they never built the statue then put it up, but just embraced it as the movies gained popularity and used it as a tourist attraction.

With that said though Joe deserves a statue, and deserved it long before he died. It is ridiculous he still hasn't got one. And for that matter someone should buy back his old gym.

Comment

Working...
                    X