Not Only Will Ali Have Beaten Tyson, He Will Have

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Only Will Ali Have Beaten Tyson, He Will Have

taken him to school.

Tyson is my favourite fighter, but the more I read about boxing, and find out new things, the more I think Tyson wouldn't have stood a chance against Ali.

First thing that convinces me of an whitewash victory to Ali is his granite chin..
    I mean he took that left hook of Frazier and got back up in 2 seconds! like wtf??
    Who the hell gets up from a devastating punch like that????
    He got up as though nothing had hit him..
    Tyson would have trouble getting to Ali all night..He would be trying to come near him, and Ali would just keep him at bay, frustrating Tyson.
    If Tyson comes close, I will use the Ali -Foreman example of the rope-a-dope.

While Foreman, is definitely no Tyson, he is still the one of the hardest hitters. However though he is a wild slugger with no technique in his punches, where as Tyson is EXTREMELY skillful with copy book technique and accuracy.

I see this going for possibly 12 rounds, with Ali winning by a wide UD decision.
    Tyson has a very good chin, and cannot see him getting ko'ed, however if he does tire depending on his workload througout the fight, he will possibly go down, depending on Ali's intensity.
    I mean Ali faced NORTON, FOREMAN, FRAZIER, PATTERSON AND LISTON.
    And beat them all, and to say that he would lose to Tyson is a bit far fetched.

Tyson didn't really get tested throughout his career, and was actually stopped by Buster.
    People say that Tyson was having problems at the time, well so was Buster, with his mother dying not long before the fight..

A guy who had an awesome jab, and an awesome uppercut, gave Tyson a lot of trouble..
    Imagine what Ali would have done..

I dont think anybody in here would argue that. Head to head ali could possibly beat any heavyweight who ever lived (so far).

Comment

Well simply reading about boxing is going to get you anywhere, ali did have a granite chin. But so did Tyson to an extent. Prime vs Prime there is an argument for both. Could ali stand up to tysons early attack, Or would ALi simply outbox tyson from the beginning. In their prime, both seemed unbeatable. Both were beatable however and both had the style to defeat the other. You make a good argument, I however will always argue the side for tyson becuase he's one of my fav's. Ali is and will always be the greatest though.

Comment

Also, on your point about buster having problems, true, but I think he used it more as a huge motivation whereas tyson really let his problems get the best of him mentally. Buster looked like an al time great that night as well. Its all Irrelevant but just thought I'd address that as well.

Comment

i think the rope-a-dope ali--- gets liver damage in the ring and dies

the prime mobile on his feet ali... takes tyson to school

Comment

At his best Ali was damn near unhittable so I have a hard time seeing Tyson being able to land cleanly often enough to win. If Sonny Liston with a reach advantage on Ali couldn't do it I just don't see Mike, with a major reach DISadvantage doing it. Prime Ali was too damn fast, too hard to hit, and way too accurate in his punching to lose that matchup. As a previous poster put it: "Ali takes him to school".

Now a post exhile Ali and a post prison Tyson is a bit more interesting. Ali tended to "rope-a-dope" and that's the LAST thing you want to do against a fighter with Tyson's body type. If Ali lays on the ropes he loses (remember he tried that in Manila against Frazier and it cost him). Then again, Ali was adaptable and I don't think I've ever seem a fighter be able to switch tactics on the fly like he could. In this matchup I still give Ali the edge but in a more competitive fight as Ali had slowed noticably at that point and Mike would be more likely to get some of his bombs in.

Keep in mind Ali is not my favorite Heavyweight (neither is Tyson) Joe Louis is. That being said, despite my love of Louis, Ali is the best Heavyweight I've ever seen. I've watched most of Ali's fights and ALL of Tyson's fights (except the elusive Sims fight), I have them on video along with fights of practically every major Heavyweight you care to name. I have plenty of material to make comparisons.

Poet

Comment

To put it in a contemporary context, for those who haven't been able to watch PRIME Ali; combine Floyd Mayweather's incredible reflexes, speed, and defensive acumen with the aggresion of Ricardo Mayorga. Put this in a 6'4" 210lb body and you get one of the finest fighters God ever put together. Nothing slight to prime Tyson but Ali at his best stands the test of comparison with the very finest fighters of all time not just heavy's.

As the above poster mentioned in Ali's favor was his incredible adaptability as evidenced in Manila Ali had been pummeled all over from his ribs to his forehead from round 4 on until the 12th and 13th when he turned into a demon-speed fisted puncher. Incredible is an understatement that after the punishment Joe dished out and the heat (well over 100 degrees in the ring during the fight) Ali could switch it up within seconds and turn in 2 brilliant rounds in what should have been crisis time.

One thing I would definitely wonder is how a fragile psyche like Tyson's would stand up to Ali's taunting and mental games. I don't think the prime version of Tyson would snap at the first words but after 9 or 10 rounds of eating Ali's jab and cross the taunting wouldn't help him any that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JC Warrior View Post
                To put it in a contemporary context, for those who haven't been able to watch PRIME Ali; combine Floyd Mayweather's incredible reflexes, speed, and defensive acumen with the aggresion of Ricardo Mayorga. Put this in a 6'4" 210lb body and you get one of the finest fighters God ever put together. Nothing slight to prime Tyson but Ali at his best stands the test of comparison with the very finest fighters of all time not just heavy's.

As the above poster mentioned in Ali's favor was his incredible adaptability as evidenced in Manila Ali had been pummeled all over from his ribs to his forehead from round 4 on until the 12th and 13th when he turned into a demon-speed fisted puncher. Incredible is an understatement that after the punishment Joe dished out and the heat (well over 100 degrees in the ring during the fight) Ali could switch it up within seconds and turn in 2 brilliant rounds in what should have been crisis time.

One thing I would definitely wonder is how a fragile psyche like Tyson's would stand up to Ali's taunting and mental games. I don't think the prime version of Tyson would snap at the first words but after 9 or 10 rounds of eating Ali's jab and cross the taunting wouldn't help him any that's for sure.

this last part makes me think bite tython gets DQ'd for fouling ali before the fight is over. it'd be harder to bite off a piece of ali's ear though, he doesn't just stand around in front of u like holy

Comment

Tyson is a myth perpetrated by the media. They needed a guy to build up through the years, and to eventually tear down.

He was a good fighter, maybe almost great. But it wasn't a lack of heart, or determination whathaveyou.

It was a lack of drive. A lack of desire.

He didn't fight like a fighter who loved the sport and loved to compete. He fought for the paycheck.

Oh, and he had no balls.

Comment

Tyson in the 80's

Muhammad Ali

Ali wins but it won't be easy, the early rounds will be dangerous for Ali but he will take control in the mid rounds with a slight chance of a late rounds stoppage, especially if it's 15 rounds.

I see Ali playing it safe for the first four rounds, back-pedaling and clinching a lot. When Tyson shows frustration, fatique and lack of concentration, Ali will start getting more aggressive, scoring points and winning rounds.

As long as Tyson had his cornermen to keep his mentality together he was dangerous for the whole distance but against Ali who was very frustrating he would have a hard time keeping it together for full rounds.
                    I think there's a slight chance Ali scores a TKO but I think Ali by decision is the most obvious outcome.

Tyson always has his power but Ali was near impossible to stop, even a finisher like Tyson would have a hard time trying.

Comment

Working...
                    X