No announcement yet.

Mouthpiece?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouthpiece?

Was wondering what type of mouthpiece you guys prefer to use for boxing double or single?

Also does anyone know what is the most popular kind among the pro's..
    Last edited by colin scott; 06-14-2011, 04:29 AM.

Originally posted by colin scott View Post
    Was wondering what type of mouth piece you guys prefer to use for boxing double or single?
    Single

Originally posted by colin scott View Post
    Also does anyone know what is the most popular kind among the pro's..
    Single

Comment

I used single. The double mouthpieces are a ***** to get a breathe through and that little hole that they do give you ends up getting filled up with spit so eventually when your blowing out air you're also blowing streams of spit that get wiped all over your face.

I always just used the single form fitted one that you get from the sporting good store.

I remember one fight I had misplaced my mouth piece and had to pick one up one the way to the arena. I couldn't find one without the strap on it so I bought one with a strap and cut it off. This fight was at the Palace, amatuers Team Michigan vs Jimmy Ellis' team, so we got into the kitchen area and somebody boiled me some water and I formed it in a got a great fit. During the fight I had blood just pouring from my mouth and every time I got hit in the mouth it stung like hell. I was cleaning up pretty good on this guy, had it been the other way I could have seen them stopping the bout on me. The ref kept taking me to my corner to wipe the blood from my headgear and face and said that he kept on looking for cuts on my face. What happened was when I cut off the strap on the mouth pieve I had left the most minute piece ofthe strap on the mouth guard. It made a little sliver with a pointed end. Each time I was punched in the mouth that point was digging into the back of my upper lip. After the fight I lifted my lip up and looked at it in the mirror, like 7 gauges and it's all black and blue and sore as hell. I won the bout by unanimous decision but swallowing all of that blood really sucked.................Rockin'

Comment

i use a double. breathing is not an issue once you get used to it. it gives me more protection and keeps my jaw locked in and my mouth closed. if your mouth is open all it takes is one light shot to the chin and youre probably out.

but its a preference

Comment

I dont believe the hype in a double mouthgaurd giving any added prtection.

But one thing to consider when speaking of pros and the mouth piece that they use is that alot of fighters have had their noses damaged, mangled and broken which makes it very tough to breathe solely through their noses. I for one can not get full breathes through my nose. I know, breathe out of your nose or you'll get your jaw broken. While it does happen like that I never had mine broke having to mainly breathe through my mouth. My jaw is out of alignement though, but **** happens in that ring..........Rockin'

Comment

it does gives you more protection, all the teeth are covered and not just the ones at the top. on top of that like i said its easier to get knocked out when you wear a single mouthguard because often your mouth is gonna be open and if your jaw is hanging down losely its easy to get knocked out, that doesnt happen with the double mouthguard. so it helps prevent concussions (/brain damage long term) which is a key thing to avoid in combat sports

Comment

Single, custom fitted from a dentist. Very comfortable, can talk and breath easier too. Never go back to using a boil and bite one.

That's what's most common in pro's too.

Comment

single every time

Comment

www.gladiatorguards.com

Comment

Working...
                  X