No announcement yet.

Pacquiao targets middleweight division, 9th world championship

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Cotto is going to be the most sought after man in boxing if he beats Sergio. Everyone will want a piece of that pie.

I think Alvarez would get that fight.
    Lol this is actually so true.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
      Counts only if no catch weight that's why I don't count that bogus 152 catch weight to unify 154
      The catchweight is not my main beef with Manny's 154 pound title. It's that he fought for a vacant belt against a fighter who had exactly 1 win at jr. MW, against a complete nobody.

Comment

See, this is the stuff I dislike.

Manny has constantly claimed 154 was too high for him to go back, but he would try 160 if Sergio looks old/washed up or if the belt is held by a very small Cotto. If he wanted that belt or Sergio, he had years to do it while Sergio was the man but of course he was 'too big' at that point.

That's not just aimed at Manny, I hate seing this from fighters in general.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post

Manny has constantly claimed 154 was too high for him to go back, but he would try 160 if Sergio looks old/washed up or if the belt is held by a very small Cotto. If he wanted that belt or Sergio, he had years to do it while Sergio was the man but of course he was 'too big' at that point.

That's why we need to tone down all the "Cotto is so brave to take this fight!" stuff.

He could have fought Sergio years ago in his prime, when Sergio was calling him out. Instead Cotto waited until Sergio looked broken down and might be far enough gone to beat. Yeah, it's still an admirable risk but it's clearly a calculated one where Cotto has nothing to lose.

Comment

If this happens, I hope Manny fans will speak of either sergio or cotto the same way they have for the last 2 years. I expect to see plenty of shot, old, washed up, etc etc comments.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post

Has Manny actually claimed anything, or have the people around him claimed it on his behalf?

Anyway, I don't begrudge smaller guys like Mayweather or Pacquiao cherrypicking at MW, it's when they do it in their own division(s) it's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                That's why we need to tone down all the "Cotto is so brave to take this fight!" stuff.

He could have fought Sergio years ago in his prime, when Sergio was calling him out. Instead Cotto waited until Sergio looked broken down and might be far enough gone to beat. Yeah, it's still an admirable risk but it's clearly a calculated one where Cotto has nothing to lose.
                Absolutely.

Miguel knows this went from a guarenteed stoppage loss to a fight that he can win in the space of a year. The Sergio of Chavez and before beats Miguel badly and stops him. As you said, still a gutsy fight, but nowhere near as impossible as it was 18 months ago.

Nobody was actively seeking out that Martinez, not even GGG imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                  Has Manny actually claimed anything, or have the people around him claimed it on his behalf?

Anyway, I don't begrudge smaller guys like Mayweather or Pacquiao cherrypicking at MW, it's when they do it in their own division(s) it's a problem.
                  Manny has said it several times since the Margarito fight.

I dislike this kind of thing more than I dislike catchweight fights, it's insulting as a fan of the sport. That guy that was 'too big' for years is suddenly perfectly fine now that he looks old and faded.

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
                    i have a feeling this might happen but it will be at a CW LOL.. seeing how bob ran out of opponents for manny, its time to either move down or up.
                    Just like Mayweather at 154 right? He does catch weights too son.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

I agree, Manny "cherrypicking" at MW is really not a problem. But if he beats the oldest and weakest MW titlist he can find at a catchweight, and goes around calling himself a 9 division world champion... that will be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X