Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Andre Ward ever be a PPV star?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely not, far too much Hoplinesque ducking,diving,holding and leading with his head. Also the SOG bit sucks of big-headedness,self righteousness and even-to a Christian-blasphemy.
    Last edited by antk; 02-14-2013, 03:31 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
      no, and why would you want him to be?
      Ward now is going through all the best opponents
      if he became a big star, he could get diva syndrome
      don't get people wanting "the next cash cow"
      let's hope Ward stays fighting to win, not to get paid
      every pro fighter fights to get paid. In ward's division fighting the best guys yields the highest paydays. At 154, for example, fighting cotto or canelo, niether of whom are the best, yields the biggest payday.

Comment

i doubt it, but who knows? for me, he just doesnt have a great style to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
          I agree. He isn't a highlight reel, k.o. machine either.

There is a video that somebody posted of Nazim Richardson basically comparing Ward and Tim Duncan.

Might not be the flashiest or entertaining to watch. But they sure do win a lot.
          i like that ward/duncan comparison

Comment

Maybe he fights a couple of times on PPV like Jones Jr did but a PPV star I don't think so. He doesn't have a big promoter behind him Dan Gossen is not going to get it done.

Comment

Nope. Can't see it.

Comment

The only real problem is that Ward dossent fit the sterotype.

He is clever,wellspoken, and is anything but controversial.

If he killed someone his stock would rise ten fold

Comment

Just put him on NBC or CBS, get him a nice big network TV ratings. Repeat that a few times and his popularity will explode. I don't get why they'd be so desperate to hog him on Show and HBO when he can get a tremendous boon on network TV. Hell, an Andre Ward fights is more meaningful to the US than Fury vs Cunningham. If ****ing Adamek vs Cunningham can get up to 3.9 million tuning in during a timeslot that averaged 500k then by right boxing should be on easy street.

Comment

Clueless as to what SOG means but it sounds so douchey. He needs a new gimmick.

Comment

I think he could be,but it's going to depend on his opponents..Most of boxing's young talent is going to need a creditable opponent to be on PPV tbh..Donaire vs Mares is a PPV kinda fight imo(at least I'd order it)..I dear say if 3G keeps winning and moves up I believe that could be a PPV kinda fight..There are plenty,the problem with most is they wanna compare these young fighters to fighters like Mayweather Pac and even Cotto..When in reality there is no young fighters with that kinda pull or status as of yet..

But I can see him earning that kind of popularity...But the right opponent will be key..In Wards case(to be on PPV),he's going to need a very good opponent..Although he is being promoted very well..You see him calling fights on HBO and he talks really well..I can see Ward becoming a star tbh..
                      Last edited by Rome-By-Ko; 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X