No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather v Battling Nelson who wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather v Battling Nelson who wins

who wins this fight and how.. i have a very interesting article to post on this subject and will post it once a few have given their opinion on the outcome of the fight

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    who wins this fight and how.. i have a very interesting article to post on this subject and will post it once a few have given their opinion on the outcome of the fight
    Bat by stoppage around round 40.

I've bumped a thread on the issue for your reading pleasure.

Comment

What about that article?

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        What about that article?
        here you go Bat.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/ironmen.html
        Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

These threads are just ridiculous. The difference in fitness would be unbelievable! Floyd is a boxer and would just outbox him all night with superior speed reflexes. Nelson was a damn punching bag nothing special about that.

Comment

Originally posted by liam_48@msn.com View Post
            These threads are just ridiculous. The difference in fitness would be unbelievable! Floyd is a boxer and would just outbox him all night with superior speed reflexes. Nelson was a damn punching bag nothing special about that.
            Fitness? Nelson could go more than 40 rounds, throwing 80+ punches a round.

Now Floyd is as well-conditioned as it can get but he has never fought under those kind of rules.

Joe Gans was a great boxer for any era but Nelson kept coming round after round and never tired. He was a difficult man to deal with under the rules of his day. In other times Nelson would have been stopped more times because he usually absorbed beatings in the early rounds and he would have had no chance of outpointing most of his opponents in 12 or 15 round bouts.

Mayweather would outclass Nelson with his much greater skill but there's no telling whether his fragile hands would hold up if Nelson does indeed keep getting up and coming forward. He would have to knock Nelson out which he does have a good chance of doing despite Nelson's proven durability.

If it became a mauling & clinching 40+ round affair then Nelson would have the advantage.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 08-27-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Mayweather would completely outclass him

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                It depends whose era they fight in. I expect Mayweather would comfortably out-box Nelson over 12 rounds under modern conditions. But how would Floyd's biscuit hands and potshotting style fare in Nelson's era of 40+ rounds, sparser rules and tiny horsehair gloves? If Mayweather doesn't get an early KO I'd back Nelson to grind him down and eventually stop him.

Comment

It depends whose era they fought under. Under modern rules I would expect Mayweather to use his speed, and pot shotting to out point Nelson, who was known for coming on extremely late and won most of his bouts due to his remarkable stamina; Batt was a true "Iron Man" who could endure unbelievable punishment and come back for more.

In Nelson's era, I would expect Bat to consume alot of punishment from the faster and much more skillfull Mayweather, but as the fight wears on I would expect Mayweather's fragile hands to break and most likley for Nelson to gain a stoppage win.

Nelson was a great fighter and has a great resume of wins, Nelson defeated such men as Joe Gans, Jimmy Britt, Young Corbett II, Aurelio Herrera, Eddie Hanlon, Artie Simms, Willie Beecher, Jack Redmond and Jack O'Neil.

Comment

nothing much to do with which era... the old `flicker` film never does justice to the pre 1950 fighters, they used one camera to film the fights where today we used 20 cameras with magnification etc.. but they was human just like we are today

Comment

Working...
                    X