Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight Outta Compton remade to make it Oscar worthy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight Outta Compton deserved a Best Pic nomination, they only chose 8 films again this year instead of the 10...why? This, Creed, Carol, and Sicario were all snubbed yet they chose the mediocre Brooklyn and left two spots open.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
      Are people still crying about this? Yes, if it was more about heller it possibly would have been nominated because Giamatti is a great actor. As it was he carried that movie from an acting stand point. The NWA cast could have been any generic black guy. I don't know why you would think people who are completely unmemorable would be nominated for acting or that a film containing them would be nominated for best picture.
      Without googling tell me the last years best picture, best actor, and best supporting actor/actress nominees and winners since you think being memorable is a criteria.

Comment

That was pretty funny.

Comment

Will Leonardo DiCaprio finally win an Oscar?

Comment

To suggest Strait out of Compton was Oscar worthy is laughable.

Movie was formulaic, didn't take chances. Standard issue rock and roll biopic but with rappers. Glossed over all the stuff that might have put Dre in a negative light because he was the protagonist. And the third act was a ****ing mess.

Dont get me wrong, I loved it. But it was just a fun movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
              Without googling tell me the last years best picture, best actor, and best supporting actor/actress nominees and winners since you think being memorable is a criteria.
              You're confusing remembering who they are with having an impact. The guys in straight out of Compton had no impact and therefore aren't memorable to the point that you couldn't even name any of them. Nobody can which is what makes your whole argument a joke. Just because I can't remember who won last year doesn't mean they didn't have powerful performances. I just don't give a **** about the oscars and literally 100's of movies come out a year. Who would remember? But if you're told who won you'd remember that they brought something. I looked it up and Eddie redmayne and Julianne Moore won. Those were powerful performances. Do you see the difference?

I understand the point about the oscars not being diverse, and it's true. But the material people like you use to argue to make this point is laughable. At this point you're hurting the case more than furthering it.

Comment

The Oscar is not the issue here. First you have make the films, then you win the Oscar. How many black films of quality are being made? Most Oscar films are garbage that old boring white males like. However, the issue lies squarely on blacks. Stop relying on whites and do your own thing. There are enough money in the black community to start a movie industry like Hollywood three times over. Why are waiting for them? Where was Jada when other black films weren't nominated, but as soon as her husband was snubbed, she wants to start a revolution?
                Last edited by megas30; 02-28-2016, 03:00 AM.

Comment

how many white MVPs have there been in basketball in the recent memory?
                  probably less than black oscar nominees

Comment

As good as SOC was, I don't think that is the movie to use as an argument. Same goes for Will Smith's performance in concussion. I just don't think the outcry holds much weight this year except Idris Elba. But that's one snub. People get snubbed every year. Hell the best movie with a mostly black cast was actually Dope. That movie was one of the best this year and deserved to get nominated.

Jake Gyllenhaal had the best performance I've seen in 2 years in Nightcrawler and he wasn't even nominated.
                    Last edited by -Antonio-; 02-28-2016, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
                      The Oscar is not the issue here. First you have make the films, then you win the Oscar. How many black films of quality are being made? Most Oscar films are garbage that old boring white males like. However, the issue lies squarely on blacks. Stop relying on whites and do your own thing. There are enough money in the black community to start a movie industry like Hollywood three times over. Why are waiting for them. Where was Jada when other black films weren't nominated, but as soon as her husband was snob, she want to start a revolution?
                      I pretty much agree, but I will say that if a black film can be a breakthru hit, then more films will follow. Hollywood does a lot of copycats. Just look at superhero movies or when sci fi movies got big budgets because of Star Wars..
                      Straight out of Compton has opened the doors and I venture to say we will see big budget tupac, biggie movies..

It's all about the all mighty dollar, and if black movies can sell to the mainstream like rap/hip hop has, then you will see tons of black movies being made by Hollywood

Comment

Working...
                      X