Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Don't Americans Stand Behind And Appreciate Floyd Mayweather Like They Should?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because he's American doesn't mean people have to support him.
    Also if he wants to paint himself as the bad guy, then why should he be surprised when he's treated as one?

Comment

Americans don't have the same Nationalism that other countries do.
      It's sad and we really should support our own more.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
        Maybe they don't like the facts he beats women, his racist and ****phobic rants, how he flaunts money in times of austerity, his retirements when tough fights are on the horizon, his spoiled child attitude, the way he treat his father, the attack on the mother of his children when his children are present, his constant excuses and moving of the goal post to avoid the Pacquiao fight, his less than exhilarating, safety first boxing style and probably some more stuff that I have forgot.

Also maybe they are boxing fans and don't see the sport as an excuse to blindly patriotic and prefer to support individuals.
        I stopped reading right there. A lot of boxing fans are very gullible, unfortunately.

Comment

what i don't understand is why you people still don't get it.

mayweather is not an exciting fighter. i for one don't give a hoot about his personal life. check my history and you won't find any participation in pbf's wife beating cases and all those incidents where he throws $100 bills. i probably represent 90% of the fans. they don't care. all they care about is his fights in the ring. mayweather is simply not the equivalent of mike tyson, who many are fond of regardless of his dark personal side.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingtech718v2 View Post
            Americans don't have the same Nationalism that other countries do.
            It's sad and we really should support our own more.
            They do, especially for sports. They'll get into sports just because Americans are in it. Just like the world cup and the women's world cup.
            How many people do you think actually watch that?
            People flip flop on him on the time because of his bad guy persona.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
              Just because he's American doesn't mean people have to support him. Also if he wants to paint himself as the bad guy, then why should he be surprised when he's treated as one?
              I'm not stating that you should support him unconditionally, but you should at least appreciate him and be grateful for what he has done and continues to do for the sport of boxing and it's fans. The sport would be far less entertaining and interesting without him. A fact proven by the considerable drop off in interest in boxing during his layoffs. He doesn't have to fight anymore.

Floyd plays an annoying, flamboyant charachter in order to get people interested in him, whether they want to see him win or lose. It's smart business and I don't see why so many people take it seriously. You can tell that he's not serious with a lot of it and while he plays a false charachter, at least he's not being dishonest with it, it's not far from the real him. The only real differences are that his charachter is very outspoken, aggressive and flamboyant which generally isn't the case in reality. Yes he can be annoying and I don't enjoy some of the things that he does outside the ring, but at least he gives you honesty and entertainment. As apposed to Manny "Stipulation-Man" Pacquiao who is not only incredibly boring outside of the ring but who also has a completey fake and scripted image. The way that he is presented couldn't be further from the truth.
              Last edited by JK1700; 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pacfan View Post
                what i don't understand is why you people still don't get it.

mayweather is not an exciting fighter. i for one don't give a hoot about his personal life. check my history and you won't find any participation in pbf's wife beating cases and all those incidents where he throws $100 bills. i probably represent 90% of the fans. they don't care. all they care about is his fights in the ring. mayweather is simply not the equivalent of mike tyson, who many are fond of regardless of his dark personal side.

I guess this relates to my point about a lot of fans just wanting to see brawls and not being able to embrace the technical aspect of boxing, and therefore not being able to appreciate a technical virtuoso like Mayweather. I have always found Mayweather to be an exciting boxer to watch. I could watch his fights with Hernandez, Corrales, Castillo, Corley, Gatti, Judah, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez and Mosley over and over again. The only bout that I found slightly boring was against Carlos Baldomir and he broke his hand early in that fight, which explains why it wasn't as exciting as it could have been.

Comment

Perhaps you have not noticed the many nuthuggers on this site....he is very much appreciated among them

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                    Brits don't always support Brits. I don't support Amir Khan, for example. My point was directed more towards supporting your countries BEST boxer and appreciating them for being the best, not neccesarily supporting them, but appreciating them and Mayweather isn't just the best American boxer, he is the world's best boxer and they still don't appreciate him. Whoever he beats, there's always an excuse. It just irks me with the way Americans act towards him. When he dominates the best, they criticize him, and when he takes a layoff, they criticize him even more. He said it himself. "Why should I stick around when I don't get the props that I truly deserve?". People should appreciate him while he's still around because he will be sorely missed when he's gone.
                    people can be so evil and judgmental

Comment

Who says, they don't?

Is this another one Floyd idiotic fans being a parrot again?

Comment

Working...
                      X