Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was jack dempsey better against large men?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I read the Gallento beating in ray arcel's Biography
    I'd like to read that book sometime. I bet its terrific!

Comment

Many years ago I had some video of a retired Dempsey in a shoot fight against some pro wrestler. You might assume this was fixed, but Dempsey beat the living spit out of the poor guy. I mean real bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Many years ago I had some video of a retired Dempsey in a shoot fight against some pro wrestler. You might assume this was fixed, but Dempsey beat the living spit out of the poor guy. I mean real bad.
        I seem to recall this too. If I remember correctly there was no neutral corner rule in effect and a well worn Dempsey simply stood over the hapless fool waiting for him to rise after repeated knockdowns (as he had done with Willard many years before).

I also gather that he battered a young man attempting to mug him not too many years before his death.

A vicious guy Jack Dempsey. Legend!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I seem to recall this too. If I remember correctly there was no neutral corner rule in effect and a well worn Dempsey simply stood over the hapless fool waiting for him to rise after repeated knockdowns (as he had done with Willard many years before).

I also gather that he battered a young man attempting to mug him not too many years before his death.

A vicious guy Jack Dempsey. Legend!

Here is a clip that I found on YouTube. On the big screen the beating looked even more vicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQ0eqQTL74

Comment

As I've said more than once on here, I met Dempsey, he was huge!!!
            He's only 6' but he seemed much taller, he was weighing about 220 then but he seemed to be 250 (not fat just BIG) theres certain people that have an ora around them that makes them seem bigger and have power thats unlike others!
            My Uncle ****e Marino who knew Dempsey always swore that nobody in the latter years of boxing could handle Dempsey when he was ready to fight!
            My Uncle said he was faster than people thought, was much harder to hit than people thought and the bottom line was he was ...Animal in the ring!
            I believed him then and still do! Dempseys hand was a huge thick ham hock and he was carefull how he shock hands with people, a genuinely gently man outside the ring!
            Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Here is a clip that I found on YouTube. On the big screen the beating looked even more vicious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQ0eqQTL74

Good work Scott, Dempsey looked good for a guy in his mid-late 40s! Though he did live to his late 80s.

When the red mist came down he had one of the cruellest streaks I've ever seen in boxing. He really battered that poor sod!!!

Comment

some friends and i shook dempseys hand at his resturant and yes he was careful when shaking hands with us but you could still feel the incredible strength and they were ham sized. very powerful man, to say the least

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  Good work Scott, Dempsey looked good for a guy in his mid-late 40s! Though he did live to his late 80s.

When the red mist came down he had one of the cruellest streaks I've ever seen in boxing. He really battered that poor sod!!!
                  He he, know i should'nt laugh, but i get far more of a kick out of stories like this, than i do from reading about the likes of Riddick Bowe, James Toney etc, getting their butts whooped at sideshows.

Imagine what Dempsey would'a done to that clown who laid on his back, and kicked Ali in the shins.. He'd have been pounded into the canvas lol.

Comment

Oh Antonio Inoki? I read an article on that fight a while back that said that fight went that way because of a miscommunication. Ali's camp apparently thought that would be scripted, like a pro wrestling match, but Inoki thought it would be a real aka shoot fight. Had it been real and known it was real, I imagine Inoki would've used more of a varied attack and at least went for more takedown attempts, possibly a submission attempt at some point.

Dempsey would probably only need to land one good hard shot to hurt Inoki and then follow up with a few more to put him down for the count. Of course, he could also catch him with an uppercut during a takedown attempt or maybe a kick to the face. It would just be a matter of not being put on the ground for Dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                      He he, know i should'nt laugh, but i get far more of a kick out of stories like this, than i do from reading about the likes of Riddick Bowe, James Toney etc, getting their butts whooped at sideshows.

Imagine what Dempsey would'a done to that clown who laid on his back, and kicked Ali in the shins.. He'd have been pounded into the canvas lol.
                      Ha ha, I'll bet that Dempsey was more than handy in a streetfight. He'd have dived on Inoki and pounded his head into the canvas!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X