Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are old school fighters better than present day fighters??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are old school fighters better than present day fighters??

why or why not

Do you mean how could ten generations of fighters stand up to one? How could all time even compare to the "now"?
    Last edited by TBear; 05-21-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Boxing always has it's ups and downs, always will, present day fighters aren't really that different from ''old school'' boxers at all it's just that some era's are stronger then others.

This eras Bantam division is the best it has been in 30 - 40 years.
      This eras Heavyweight division isn't as good as the 90s or 70s.
      This eras Light Heavy division isn't as good as the early 80s.

Etc, Etc.

It's all swings and round abouts, the great boxers from each era would be great in most eras.

Comment

I think it's all a holograph.

Comment

Originally posted by larryx1950 View Post
          why or why not

what would you like to hear?

Comment

here's the truth: to some they are, to some they aren't. not rocket science

Comment

It's pretty subjective deciding what era is 'best'..

I like to think that the old timers were better skilled, worse conditioned. Boxers back then focused more on skill training, and they fought quite a bit more, now a days its all different types of strength and conditioning over long periods of time and it seems like really not all that much actual boxing.

Not to mention the amount of competition that was out there before, boxing worldwide has less pro fighters. That's just my personal opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
                It's pretty subjective deciding what era is 'best'..

I like to think that the old timers were better skilled, worse conditioned. Boxers back then focused more on skill training, and they fought quite a bit more, now a days its all different types of strength and conditioning over long periods of time and it seems like really not all that much actual boxing.

Not to mention the amount of competition that was out there before, boxing worldwide has less pro fighters. That's just my personal opinion though.
                Funny you mention conditioning when "old school" fighters went 15 rounds without a problem in championship fights and all too many of today's fighters start gassing out half way through a 12 rounder.

Poet

Comment

Present day fighters are outnumbered quite greatly by "old school" fighters so I'll have to vote for the latter, depending on the meaning of the term "old school" in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    Present day fighters are outnumbered quite greatly by "old school" fighters so I'll have to vote for the latter, depending on the meaning of the term "old school" in this context.
                    Larry considers anyone who's retired to be "old school". Or an "Older" fighter.

His words.

Comment

Working...
                    X