No announcement yet.

McCloskey v Lauri

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCloskey v Lauri

Paul McCloskey has a mandatory for the Euro JWW belt against Guiseppe Lauri in Belfast on 11th June.

From bbc sport
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8665323.stm

Paul McCloskey will defend his European light-welterweight title when he faces mandatory challenger Giuseppe Lauri at the King's Hall, Belfast on 11 June.

The undefeated Dungiven southpaw extended his perfect record to 20 straight wins with a stoppage victory over Daniel Rasilla last time out.

"To headline a bill at a legendary venue like the King's Hall is a dream come true," said McCloskey.

"It's such a historic venue and all the top boxers have fought there."

"I fought on the undercard there when John Duddy beat Howard Eastman and I actually got to make my pro debut there in 2005 so it is nice to be able to go back there in the main event on a big night of boxing."

McCloskey is under no illusions that experienced Italian Lauri will be out to spoil the party and says he won't be taking anything for granted.

"He is a tough, experienced customer and has only been beaten by top guys like Ricky Hatton and Junior Witter.

"He has been at this level for a long time so he knows what it's all about and I know it won't be easy but as long as I perform as I can on the night then I'm confident that I'll beat him."

McCloskey says he is determined not to be sidetracked by any talk regarding a possible world title shot in the future.

"If I keep winning then I'm sure the world title shot will come my way but I can't afford to look beyond my next fight.

"I just have to win, and win in style to keep climbing the rankings and then hopefully a world title opportunity will present itself in the next 12 months."

Boxrec has the fight listed for the 4th of June, so not sure which its gonna be. Cant see Paul struggling too much here. Hopefully I will be able to go to it. Need to find out which date it is first though for work.

I wander who else will be on the card.

I am a big fan of McCloskey. I hope he gets a world title shot soon.

I think he has all the skills to make it in the big league, why hasnt he yet?

he has a habit of fighting with his hands down, but I think he's a very good fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Soprano View Post
      I am a big fan of McCloskey. I hope he gets a world title shot soon.

I think he has all the skills to make it in the big league, why hasnt he yet?

he has a habit of fighting with his hands down, but I think he's a very good fighter.
      he hasnt really beaten anyone of note yet. and he's just becomce Euro champ. He'll need a few fights to see if he can make the jump up to world class. Im not convinced, but that has a lot to do with how stacked the 140 division is. Wouldnt surprise me if he got a shot at Khan though if he keeps winning.

Comment

McCloskey is a decent little fighter and hope he keeps active

If he was in another division then id be sure he could pick up a worl title strap somewhere down the line but the JWW division is packed with so many strong young fighters so im not so sure; id like to see him get in the mix with some top ten fighters one day though

Comment

a few more details, interview undercard etc. from bbc sport

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8681003.stm

Paul McCloskey hopes that a successful defence of his European light-welterweight belt next month will move him closer to a world title tilt.

McCloskey will be making his first title defence on 11 June against Italy's Giuseppe Lauri in Belfast.

"It's a dangerous fight but I think I can do a good job in it," said McCloskey of the King's Hall bout.

"I'm in the top 10 in the world now so I can realistically hope for a world title fight."

McCloskey added:"I would fight (WBA champion) Amir Khan tomorrow if I got the opportunity but the fact that he's based in America now might not make it easy to get that fight.

"But there are Devon Alexander (WBC and IBF) and Timothy Bradley (WBO) out there as well so there are a few possibilities."

However, first things first, Dungiven man McCloskey must take care of mandatory European challenger Lauri.

"I've been studying him and he's a tough man.

"He's won 50 of his 56 fights and had 27 or 28 knockouts.

"He's dangerous but that's why I'm training so hard for this fight."

The chief supporting bout at the King's Hall will see Stephen Haughian taking on former British champion Kevin McIntyre for the Celtic Welterweight title.

Haughian believes that a win next month should be enough to secure him a straight track at the British title.

"It's been a frustrating time for me recently with fights falling through but this is the break I've been looking for," said the 25-year-old.

Cavan fighter Andy Murray, Carl Frampton and Cuban Alexei Acosta will also be on the bill.

European Union lightweight champion Murray has won his opening 18 professional bouts and hopes to earn a European title fight with John Murray in the near future.

Former World Junior Champion Acosta is based in Cork and has won all 10 of his professional bouts.

good to see Frampton in action up close, and to see what this Cuban I've been hearing about is like. I just checked the rankings there now, he's 7th in the WBC rankings. So Devon alexander would be the man he's likely to fight for a world title (if Khan doesnt have a vol. defence against Paul).
          Last edited by gingeralbino; 05-14-2010, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X