No announcement yet.

How do Russians hit so hard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Russians hit so hard?

I've noticed that russian boxers on the whole seem to hit harder than everyone else. Is this because of their tough regime coupled with good technique?

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
    I've noticed that russian boxers on the whole seem to hit harder than everyone else. Is this because of their tough regime coupled with good technique?
    Yes. And genetics.

Comment

It's the style. Less emphasis on upper body movement and elusive dancing, more emphasis on calculated distance control and always being ready to transfer power.

It's easy for untrained eyes to call the heavyweights "big stiff idiots" for using this style, harder now that we've seen Kovalev outbox master slickster Hopkins using a fairly standard upright Russian style

You could argue Russians also have unusually large upper body muscle mass (which is correct, along with most northern & eastern Euros) but I doubt that's much of a factor in boxing, where "power" is more about clever timing than actual raw strength.

Of course there are exceptions like Dmitry Pirog who don't really fight Russian style OR have much upper body mass but still have (had) KO power, but there will always be exceptions.
      Last edited by ////; 01-24-2015, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Could be drug use:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=660585

Could be because they plant their feet

Comment

Cheers for the replies guys. Glad people aren't using the usual genetics or drug excuse. And your right about them having great control of distance and planting their feet. Their style seems to emphasis good, high quality punches rather than volume

Comment

Russian utilize weight-resistance in their "boxing movements" (i.e. punches) more than any other.

There was a study done, I thnk it was before the '96 olympics? Where they studied the before, and after power, and speed of Russian boxers utilizing weights/weight-resistance.

Think lots of resistance band usage, holding dumbbells while shadowboxing, wearing weight vests while moving, and practicing punching technique.

Also basic leg-strengthening exercises like squats, and power cleans, dead-lifts. They still do lots of old school exercses that have passed the test of time, but also have evolved their boxing schools with modern science, strength and resistance, etc.

But mainly, they are more likely to have world class power because of technique. The right technique to generate the most power is embedded in them from the youngest age. The body must work in perfect unison to maximize power - it all starts from the feet, through the legs, hips, core, shoulder, arm, and exits through the fist.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
              Could be drug use:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=660585

Could be because they plant their feet
              To be fair you can find similar stuff about every country. I think it was Conte who said 60% of the entire Olympic roster was doping.

My entire high school football team was doping and the coach was fine with it... I can't imagine how prevalent it is when losing costs millions of dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sFighter View Post
                To be fair you can find similar stuff about every country. I think it was Conte who said 60% of the entire Olympic roster was doping.

My entire high school football team was doping and the coach was fine with it... I can't imagine how prevalent it is when losing costs millions of dollars.
                Ok go ahead and find me similar stuff

From a reliable source like the one I gave: German tv which means it's wel researched

And as high as a number: 99%

Comment

good mix of type i,ii muscle fibres.
                  and proper technique for punching
                  planting feet.

Comment

there are plenty of guys who come out of the russian amateur system who do not punch hard.

Comment

Working...
                    X