No announcement yet.

The Klitschko's retiring anytime soon would be DREADFUL for heavyweight boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
    i think it will be much more exciting not that i dislike the klitschkos its just they've dominated for so long we all want to see a change and once they retire were more likely to see less one sided beat downs and a new champion every 3 months
    Its happened before, between Tunney and Louis the heavyweight title was passed from fighter to fighter for like 5 years... But there were some great moments, and its not unlikely we'll end up with another Louis-type fighter after a while. At least these guys r a more realistic height

Comment

Originally posted by JDezi4 View Post
      Its happened before, between Tunney and Louis the heavyweight title was passed from fighter to fighter for like 5 years... But there were some great moments, and its not unlikely we'll end up with another Louis-type fighter after a while. At least these guys r a more realistic height
      It's happened twice in quite recent times. First the forgotten era of heavyweights after Tyson went to prison - it's forgotten because no one cared. Second, the short period after Wlad's successive losses and Vitali's retirement. A horrible time for HW boxing.

Comment

It'd be interesting to hear the reason for people's picks too.

I went for price because at 6'8 245, he's got the size he is also an athlete and a capable boxer with good movement and handspeed as well as very solid power.

In a way he's almost like a mixture of the klitschko brothers, with a few assets from each.

Comment

no one cares about the HW division right now

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
            no one cares about the HW division right now
            That's a sweeping generalisation.

Heavyweights are the best fighters h2h.

The heavyweight division will always be the blue riband division.

Not welterweight or light middleweight or 151.5lb catchweight for the wbc diamond belt m

I'm talking about the heavyweight championship of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
              That's a sweeping generalisation.

Heavyweights are the best fighters h2h.

The heavyweight division will always be the blue riband division.

Not welterweight or light middleweight or 151.5lb catchweight for the wbc diamond belt m

I'm talking about the heavyweight championship of the world
              I agree... the HW division should be the glamour division, but it's not.. so even if the Klits retire, it wouldn't really matter cause casual fans aren't really paying attention to it... I agree though, that if the Klits retire without passing on the torch, that would sink the HW division into greater obscurity

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                The passing torch thing is over blown. Boxing history tends to snip out the parts they don't like so it looks like there's a lineage when in fact they just piece together the parts that suit them. Also, the great way to hype a new champ is by having him clobber one of the older guys in the name of "succession." Nobody wants to talk about the Gerry Coatze's of the world. That's boxing history in a nut shell, just skip the ones you don't like.
                Yeah I know what you mean, I just see an opportunity for it to possibly happen because there are some guys who might be able to hang with them soon. It won't really matter if the torch is passed or not, it'd just be nice because the consensus about the HW division has become so cynical over the years that it's seems like it will be tough for others to be recognized, even dominant champs like the Klits take their share of **** and criticism for not being as good as their predecessors.

I just want the next champs to get their shine because I do think there are some evenly matched action fights once ppl start to mix it up.

Comment

Working...
                X