No announcement yet.

We get boxing on free TV so whats all the complaints about PBC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
    I hate this reasoning, the best fights can't happen every event, the more events you do the less that can happen, and it's foolish from a business perspective to stack up your best matches first when you have a contract.
    They're not happening in any event on PBC.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
      I'm curious as to how Haymon's hedge fund are looking at the brand as a whole and how they see it turning over profits for them to keep dumping money into the product. These are all "purchased" TV slots more so than the Networks giving the brand the TV deals based on total viewership and riding off Nielsen ratings (which in a whole haven't been ground breaking at all).
      To me, free boxing is a great thing, it surely is. On the flipside, what does PBC do for the sport? Is it raising the popularity of the sport? Is it attracting more of the youth to the sport?

I can see where PBC is bringing more exposure to the sport but is it an exposure that can lead to revenue which offsets the massive amount of money required to sustain it? I don't really know that but I do know that reported losses of nearly 500M in one year is staggering.

PBC is like a big corporation that infiltrates a market and attempts to dominate it. This is one of the big problems with boxing, there are separate en****** all competing against each other with their own financial motives dictating how the sport is run.

Other sports are not like this, they are all governed by one single authority. NFL for instance, they have over 30 teams that are all held to salary caps that restrict them from having all of the stars just because they have more money than the other teams. They can't pick and choose which teams they face and they can't have all of their games at home either. Also, the NFL teams represent a particular area which automatically creates a fanbase.

Boxing is structured so differently from other, more popular sports that I think it plays a large part in why it is not as successful as it could otherwise have been.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post

Some of the fighters could have had better opponents but patience is key when building a brand. Its only been a year and we are getting Porter vs Thurman on T.v which would have been on PPV

Garcia vs Guerrero would have been on PPV

Uhhhmmmmmmm................

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
          Thanks. And it wasn't bait, lol. I mean for whatever reason if you're not fighting the best (b/c the best won't fight you, or b/c your boss won't let you fight the top guys, etc.) -- whatever it is -- at the very least, just be active. Fight 4 times a year.

The problem is that Keith is probably on a $1M+ guarantee every time out. Which means Haymon can't afford to put him in the ring 4x per year. You can't build a name with the casual fans if you aren't constantly appearing on their TV screens.

The genius of marketing GGG was the same formula they used with young Mike Tyson: knock someone out in spectacular fashion, make the casual fans say, "holy ****, when can we see this guy again?" ... and the answer would be, "3 months, same time, same channel (HBO), see you then"

... after Thurman fights, the answer is, "umm, it's unclear, possibly on CBS, ESPN, NBC, Bounce, FS1???"

... and there's the whole belt quest thing. Casual fans don't understand the alphabet soup but they know what undisputed means and they like the inherently appealing concept of one champ. Tyson gave them that. GGG is trying to do the same.

I don't see the current PBC formula (with substantial periods of inactivity for many fighters who do have star potential) as a formula that is conducive to building stars.

The only guy Haymon has been keeping very active is Wilder. But then what do they do? They take one of their fastest-growing stars and place his most recent fight head-to-head with NFL playoff games last Saturday night. That was just stupid. Whoever made that decision should be fired immediately.

Getting back to the point though, Thurman should be as big or bigger than GGG right now but I would argue that his career is being poorly handled right now.
          I wouldn't necessarily say that Thurman is being 'mishandled'.

But definitely one of the things missing from PBC is a consistent media presence to constantly talk up its fighters and plans. Someone to give those interviews to talk up what is in the PBC pipeline for future fights or plans for certain fighters. A face man to serve as a consistent tie to PBC across the various networks.

When PBC first started, I (like most) always assumed that Schaeffer would slide into that role, but that hasn't happened (at least not yet). Even a guy like Don King would be perfect for that role: great talker, already a known commodity with fans and the media, and wouldn't be handling any of the fighter's money.

IMO, the lack of this has somewhat slowed the marketability of PBC and some of its fighters. But it can be easily corrected (if that is in fact the plan).

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

we had some god awful PPV cards in the 2000-2009...fights that should have been on reg hbo/showtime or reg tv

mismatches as headliners etc

Comment

I bet half of these posters didn't even tune into the PBC card on FS1 the other day

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                I bet half of these posters didn't even tune into the PBC card on FS1 the other day
                I did.

I love how much boxing we get on the PBC series.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post

tells you all you need to know about how simple his mind is.
                  Therealpugilist is the Brendan Dassey of NSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
                    I did.

I love how much boxing we get on the PBC series.
                    x2. I watch every event I am able to. Thank you Al Haymon/Bigg Dunn!

Comment

• Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                      tells you all you need to know about how simple his mind is.
                      Therealpugilist is the Brendan Dassey of NSB.
                      my bad you wasn't watching boxing when they were putting out all those crappy ppv shows in the late 90s and 2000s....my fault newbie....my fault

youre a clown man...don't you got some slow mo videos to make or something

Comment

Working...
                      X