No announcement yet.

My unbiased take on the Cotto-Margarito aftermath

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
    I am telling you proof is in Smogers reaction at the time of stoppage, a good referee knows when a fight should be stopped and Smoger is one of the best in the game.

Tony had a medical clearance to fight from the Drs the only point in which he should have been stopped is when it was clear he could no longer protect himself and that didnt happen.

What I saw happen was the fight shifted in the 9th Cotto was leaning forward he just seemed flat, the bell sounded Tony turns looks to his corner and makes a gesture (Glove cutting at the throat) in other words saying Miguel is done here we go...

Then the Dr stops the fight.... after Tonys best round. Nobody is arguing that Miguel wasnt winning on points he was, but there was three rounds left with two rounds that I scored for Margarito... the fight was still very winnable Tony was till fighting back and protecting himself

Bull**** stoppage
    This is the kind of thing that I alluded to in my previous post. I get the sense that the go-ahead for the fight was just another example of boxing corruption. I have a feeling (as I'm sure many people do) that Margarito's eye was probably not healthy enough to risk a fight. That last minute approval by the "doctors" stinks, if you ask me. Even if Antonio did manage to win the fight (and that's a big "if") he might very well have been blinded. It's just not worth it. Not only was it a good stoppage, but the fight probably never should've happened in the first place.

Comment

I though Margarito was going to win again on this fight..But props to Cotto, he used the ring very well, stayed off the ropes and clinched when he got hit close. other than that it was a very similar fight style wise, his new trainer's game plan worked out very well. Margarito's eye failed him, dont think he will physically be able to go 12 rounds. He should retire since he also seems like he is getting hit way too much now and that eye is not going to help. Cotto had better conditioning this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        This is the kind of thing that I alluded to in my previous post. I get the sense that the go-ahead for the fight was just another example of boxing corruption. I have a feeling (as I'm sure many people do) that Margarito's eye was probably not healthy enough to risk a fight. That last minute approval by the "doctors" stinks, if you ask me. Even if Antonio did manage to win the fight (and that's a big "if") he might very well have been blinded. It's just not worth it. Not only was it a good stoppage, but the fight probably never should've happened in the first place.
        I understand what your saying but if your going to clear the man to fight do not handicap the man at the same time give him the same opportunity's any fighter would have going in if he is protecting himself and not taking a beating which was the case do not stop it.

if he is answering all of the Drs questions do not stop the fight, if the Dr wants to examine Tony in between rounds allow Tony and Garcia to discuss strategy call time after his one min rest then proceed with your questions and observations.

He was not given a fair chance here even Cottos trainer disagreed with the stoppage smoger couldnt understand it either, I mean if your miguel you take the win no matter how it comes but in no way does this conclude anything in no way does this prove you got revenge, Revenge is when you put it on your opponent so bad he has no choice but to respect you, Margarito should have never left MSG talking that much ****

Comment

Originally posted by ModernTalking View Post
          I'm glad that Cotto got the win but if Margarito eye didn't get injured, Cotto would have been domed. I was crossing my fingers hoping for the ref or doctors to stop it.
          I stopped reading there.

just in case anyone was wondering.

Comment

To be fair, I would have given the fight one more round to go. I still think Cotto would have won, but then we would not be reading about what would have happened in this or that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
              To be fair, I would have given the fight one more round to go. I still think Cotto would have won, but then we would not be reading about what would have happened in this or that scenario.
              Cotto would have had to make it through 3 more rounds, Again his own trainer disagreed with the stoppage, then again he doesnt believe in his own trainer thats why Nazim showed up

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
                I'm with you there. It's easy to criticize fighters about heart or courage when it's them taking the punches and the troll poster is sipping Coca Cola in an air conditioned room just relaxing. It takes heart to get in that ring and health is a priority. Permanent injuries are not badges of honor.
                I really don't know whether Margarito used plaster wraps in the first fight or not. But, one thing is for sure, the guy's as tough as they come. Too tough for his own good...especially when his fan-base doesn't care about his health and only screams for him to sacrifice his body on the altar of the "rivalry".

I remember thinking that Cotto's people should've stopped his fight with Pacquiao earlier. There was no hope of winning, only the promise of further punishment. In a war between two fighters, with give-and-take on both sides, the argument can be made to let the fight go on. When one guy is being handled and his health is at risk, there's little incentive to consider extending the fight. Eddie Futch stopped the "Thrilla in Manila" before the start of the fifteenth round when he realized that the late, great Joe Frazier's health was in serious danger. Two words: compassion and common sense.

Comment

Cotto would have had to make it through 3 more rounds, Again his own trainer disagreed with the stoppage, then again he doesnt believe in his own trainer thats why Nazim showed up
                  When your health is at stake, the commissions will take it one round at a time. That's why I said give it one more round and we will see. No one knows what might have happened in that 10th round.

Comment

Nazim showed up as a scare tactic/mental warfare. Nazim Richardson changed Margarito's life forever, I know he gets furious when he sees Brother Nazim, nothing to do with Cotto/Diaz' relationship.

Comment

I understand what your saying but if your going to clear the man to fight do not handicap the man at the same time give him the same opportunity's any fighter would have going in if he is protecting himself and not taking a beating which was the case do not stop it.

if he is answering all of the Drs questions do not stop the fight, if the Dr wants to examine Tony in between rounds allow Tony and Garcia to discuss strategy call time after his one min rest then proceed with your questions and observations.

He was not given a fair chance here even Cottos trainer disagreed with the stoppage smoger couldnt understand it either, I mean if your miguel you take the win no matter how it comes but in no way does this conclude anything in no way does this prove you got revenge, Revenge is when you put it on your opponent so bad he has no choice but to respect you, Margarito should have never left MSG talking that much ****
                      Some valid points. The way things turned out seems to prove my previous statement that this fight probably never should have happened in the first place. There was obvious nervousness over Margarito's eye. Why let a fight take place, when one man won't get the normal considerations? Money, that's why.

Comment

Working...
                      X